Women in Engineering club welcomes new members for professional development sessions

Courtesy of Ruth Miller
Women in Engineering members attend an event hosted by the club last year.

The university’s Women in Engineering club is active in its third year and welcomes all students for professional development sessions and the occasional craft night. 

Co-founders senior Ruth Miller, senior Haley Dees and junior Autumn Ohl, all aerospace engineering majors, realized there wasn’t a Women in Engineering club at Kent when they arrived on campus their first year, Miller said. 

“I feel like I’ve connected with a lot of the other girls in my major,” Miller said. “It’s just fun to hang out with a group of people who are in the same situation that you are.”

The club hosts speakers for members to hear about someone who is higher in the industry speak about their experience as a woman in the workforce. Women in Engineering has brought in speakers from Tesla, NASA, Textron and more, Miller said. 

With bi-weekly meetings, there is plenty more to come this semester, Miller said. A speaker from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration will attend next week’s meeting.

“We’ll be planning more speakers and more events,” Miller said. “We’re always open to new members and new ideas.”

Miller clarified the club is open to any members regardless of gender, as long as they are comfortable being in a woman/gender minority-oriented space.

Women in Engineering keeps its Instagram page up to date with event details and speakers for those interested in learning more. 

Audrey Trevarthan is digital assistant. Contact her at [email protected]