PREVIEW: Football attempts to salvage games of season in Midweek MACtion

Brittany Lucia
The Kent State football team celebrates during the 1st quarter of the homecoming game against Buffalo on Oct. 21, 2023.

Although the win column has been dry this season, Kent State football will look to add one more to it Wednesday when they play Bowling Green.

The game comes off the heels of a shocking last-minute loss to Akron in a 31-27 defeat last week.

“We’re disappointed in the loss to the ‘School Down the Road,’” coach Kenni Burns said. “We did some things well, but we didn’t do enough to win the game, and credit to them for getting the Wheel back. I know our guys are eager to get back to work. You don’t get to determine how fast everyone grows, but the culture is starting to take shape, and we need to keep failing to grow.”

It was Kent State’s eighth loss of the season and its sixth in a row, putting the team at a 1-8 overall and 0-5 Mid-American Conference record.

The team sits in last place in the MAC East and has the worst conference and overall records in the MAC.

The Flashes have not lost eight games in a season since the 2018 campaign when the team lost 10 games, a still reachable number this season.

“I’ve done this long enough and have been a part of rebuilds, and part of it is having this first year where everybody is learning and growing,” Burns said. “We’re going through different things as a team, and we have to come together as a team to make sure we get the result that we want. I think you’re seeing that right now.”

The Falcons will come to Kent on a three-game winning streak after dropping four of its first six games.

BGSU is tied for second place in the MAC East with its 5-4 overall and 3-2 conference record.

“BG is a really good football team,” Burns said. “They play hard-nosed, tough, physical football, so we have to come out and we have to play well. We have to be at our best.”

Player matchups

Quarterback

Senior Connor Bazelak will command the Falcons’ offense against KSU.

• Transferred from Indiana University before the start of the season
  • Last Week vs. Ball St.: 13-21, 128 passing yards, two touchdowns, zero interceptions
  • Season Stats: 94-162, 1018 passing yards, seven touchdowns, six interceptions

Burns will let sophomore Tommy Ulatowski lead the offense after the quarterback made his first start of the season last week at Akron. Redshirt junior Mike Alaimo will be a game-time decision, according to Burns.

• Last week at Akron: 15-23, 229 passing yards, three touchdowns, zero interceptions
  • Season Stats: 34-71, 437 passing yards, six touchdowns, one interception

Running back

Sophomore Terion Stewart will be doing the majority of the running for BGSU.

• 31st in the nation in total rushing yards, tied for 33rd in the nation in rushing touchdowns, 23rd in the nation in rushing yards/carry
  • Leads the team in carries, rushing yards, rushing touchdowns and has the longest rushing play (54 yards)
  • Last week vs. Ball St.: 15 carries, 92 rushing yards, one touchdown
  • Season Stats: 125 carries, 762 rushing yards, eight rushing touchdowns, 6.1 yards/carry
  • Burns: “He’s a good player, he’s a big, physical running back – he’s what you want. He runs behind his pads, he breaks tackles, the plays are never dead, and it doesn’t need to be blocked perfectly in front for him to create explosive plays. We’re going to have to do a good job swarming at him to get him down.”

Redshirt senior Jaylen Thomas will start after taking over earlier in the season for sophomore Gavin Garcia, who briefly appeared in the game against Akron.

• Last week at Akron: 14 carries, 36 rushing yards, one reception, seven receiving yards
  • Season Stats: 94 carries, 341 rushing yards, one touchdown, 3.6 yards/carry

Receivers

Sophomore tight end Harold Fannin Jr. is Bowling Green’s statistical leader through the air this season.

• Leads team in receiving yards receiving touchdowns and is third on the team in receptions
  • Last week vs. Ball St.: five receptions, 92 receiving yards, one touchdown
  • Season Stats:22 receptions, 293 receiving yards, three touchdowns

With standout redshirt freshman wide receiver Chrishon McCray out for the season with an injury, senior wide receiver Luke Floriea will look to take charge in the passing game.

• Last week at Akron: four receptions, 37 receiving yards, one touchdown
  • Season Stats: 18 receptions, 189 receiving yards, three touchdowns

Defense

Sophomore cornerback Jalen Huskey has been one of the Falcons’ most impactful players on the defensive side of the ball.

• Last week vs. Ball St.: five total tackles
  • Season Stats: 42 total tackles, 0.5 tackles for loss, one fumble recovery, four interceptions, four pass breakups

The defense lost redshirt senior linebacker Devin Nicholson for the season due to injury last week against Akron, but graduate student safety Bryce Sheppert has become more of a defensive leader as the season progresses.

• Leads team in total tackles and pass breakups
  • Last week at Akron: seven total tackles
  • Season Stats: 54 total tackles, two quarterback hits, six pass breakups

How do they stack up?

Kent State’s defense is also the worst in the MAC in points allowed per game, allowing 32.8 points on average. BGSU allows only 24.6 points (6th in the MAC).

On the other side of the ball, the Flashes struggle just as much, scoring just 14 touchdowns in nine games this season– the worst in the MAC, while BGSU has crossed the goal line 22 times.

Kickoff will be at 7:00 p.m. Wednesday in Dix Stadium with a “Prez D Freeze Out” theme. 

“What I’ve seen them do is get back to work, have a great week at practice, and prepare themselves for this game, which is really important for the growth of our football team,” Burns said. “We’re exactly where we’re supposed to be. I truly believe that we’re constantly learning and growing, and we’re getting closer and more connected as a football team, and eventually, the result will be what we want it to be.”

John Hilber is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].