Local organization aims to give cats forever homes

Justine+Gallo%2C+a+2022+alumna+of+Kent+State+University+and+owner+of+Sun+in+Leo%2C+pets+Jasper%2C+a+special-needs+cat+from+the+Just+Cats+NEO+at+the+Kent+Kitty+Weekend+on+Nov.+11%2C+2023.++
Cadie Pierce
Justine Gallo, a 2022 alumna of Kent State University and owner of Sun in Leo, pets Jasper, a special-needs cat from the Just Cats NEO at the Kent Kitty Weekend on Nov. 11, 2023.

Cat lovers scurried into downtown Kent to connect and raise money for their furry friends at Kent Kitty Weekend Saturday. 

Tree City Cats, a non-profit organization that houses stray cats from around the area to find them homes, brought together other small businesses and the community to raise funds for cats for a two-day event that started Saturday. 

Hannah Reese of Rocco’s Cupcake Shop displays the cupcake of the day, a vanilla coconut cupcake shaped like a cat, during the Kent Kitty Weekend on Nov. 11, 2023. (Cadie Pierce)

Alicia Hall, the owner of Flourish Plant Mtk, said the event is to draw attention toward all the cats in need of a home so they can find one. 

“The purpose of the event is to build awareness of Tree City Cats,” Hall said, “and to help all those kitties find homes, especially in this time of year it gets really difficult for cats out there in the cold.” 

Hall said finding lasting homes for these cats in need is vital and emphasized the importance of giving cats a home. 

“So, them having homes, safe homes, and you know, it’s not the responsibility of one or a few that are taking care of them that they find like permanent homes for them, that’s really important,” Hall said. 

Hugh Miller, an employee at Hippie Fox Rocks, said he assisted in the adoption process and with this event it allows these cats an opportunity to find a new home. 

“The desired outcome is to see some of the cats that are in the shelters and in foster care adopted and to help them out with the adoption process,” Miller said. 

This process and overall event came to life through a text in a group chat with other small businesses in attendance for the event, said Justine Gallo, the owner of Sun in Leo. 

“We all have a group chat with all the small businesses,” Gallo said. “And since we’re all different types of businesses, we knew that together we can make something even better. And if someone comes down for one business, they can come down for another business because it’s more important to us to bring people down than to compete.” 

On Acorn Alley, the business partners of Kent Kitty Weekend, display the raffle basket items that are available by stopping at all six participating locations during the event on Nov. 11 and 12, 2023. (Cadie Pierce)

Isabella LaRose, a sophomore criminology major, said she saw a post about the event on social media, and what stood out to her was her love for cats. 

“I saw it on Facebook,” LaRose said. “So, I love cats. I have a cat at home, and I was really excited to see these cute cats.” 

LaRose said what interests her about this event is it gathers those around the surrounding community and allows the community to come together.

“It makes people want to come to downtown and support local businesses,” LaRose said. 

Along with supporting small businesses downtown, LaRose said her goal is to get more information on helping Tree City Cats, and to find ways to do well for the public.

“… More information on how to help out this rescue, and help doing good for the community,” LaRose said. 

The event continues Sunday from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. at Flourish Plant Mtk that includes a raffle and donation event.

MinJee Yoo is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].