LSU erupts in second half, taking down Kent State women’s basketball

Matthew Brown
Kent State senior Katie Shumate dribbles in toward the net during the wagon wheel game against Akron Feb. 18, 2023.

After the first half, the Kent State women’s basketball team was on top of the world as they were neck and neck with Louisiana State University (3-1), but during the second half, LSU showcased its talent as defending national champions, winning the game 109-79. 

‘The eyes of the women’s basketball nation were on us,” coach Todd Starkey said. ”I’m really proud of our players; I thought we did a really good job for a good part of the game and executed the game plan.”

This is only the second time under Starkey that Kent State has allowed more than 100 points in a game.

After 20 minutes, Kent State (1-1) kept pace with LSU, trailing 39-37, shooting 40% from the field and converting on seven three-pointers. 

“They are very well coached,” LSU coach Kim Mulkey said. “They compete with the talent that they have and are able to hurt you from three-point range, and that’s what they did to start the game.”

KSU converted 7-of-16 from behind the arc in the first half – LSU was 0-for-6.

Redshirt senior Katie Shumate led the way, scoring a game-high 17 points in the first half. 

However, during the second half, the Tigers showed why they are the defending champions.

LSU outscored the Flashes 70-42 in the second half, as LSU freshman guard Mikaylah Williams scored 32 of her 42 total points.

“They had an unbelievable second half,” Starkey said. “I thought we executed our game plan very well in the first half. We tried to in the second half, but sometimes talent just beats you.” 

Shumate led the Flashes with 22 points and 11 rebounds – her tenth career double-double. 

‘I can’t say I was surprised; Katie is very capable against anybody,” Starkey said. “She can play at any level and have success. I think when she is that determined, she is a really talented player.”

For the Flashes, junior forward Jenna Batsch added 16 points on 6-of-11 shooting and grabbed four rebounds. 

Junior forward Bridget Dunn totaled 11 points and was the third KSU player to score 10 or more points.

As a team, KSU shot 43% compared to LSU’s 56%. 

Kent State converted 14 shots from behind the arc, and the Tigers were 6-of-17 from three-point range. 

KSU committed 28 turnovers – LSU had 13.

LSU’s reigning 2023 Final Four Most Outstanding player and First Team All American junior forward Angel Reese was limited to 13 minutes, scoring 11 points and totaling four rebounds.

Reese did not play in the second half due to a coach’s decision, Mulkey said.

This game was very significant for Starkey’s team because it showed they were able to compete with anybody. 

“We can certainly get some confidence from the first 25-30 minutes of the game,” he said. “We needed some shots to go down there during the third quarter, and I would’ve liked us to turn the ball over less, but  there is a lot to gain from this experience.”

LSU recorded 28 turnovers, leading to 42 points; the Flashes forced 13 turnovers, scoring eight points.

The Flashes will now head to Cincinnati, Ohio, to take on Xavier (0-3). 

The Musketeers are led by Kaysia Woods, averaging 11.5 points per game. 

In total, Xavier has two players averaging 10 or more points. 

As a team, the Musketeers average 47.5 points a game and allow 68 – the Flashes average 71 and allow 82.

Tip-off is on Nov. 21 at 7 p.m. EST.

“This whole trip down here, playing against a tough Louisiana team, and now playing LSU, I thought we played a lot of good basketball,” Starkey said. “This team still has room to grow, which is exciting for me.” 

Emily Lowen is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].