New Interim Dean named for Kent State Trumbull campus

Daniel Palmer

Daniel Palmer

Michael Reiner

At the beginning of July, Dr. Daniel Palmer was named Interim Dean/Chief Administrative Officer for the Trumbull branch of Kent State University.

Palmer will replace the former Dean Dr. Lance Grahn, who resided as the dean for the past four years.

Palmer has had many roles at Kent State Trumbull over the past 18 years. He has served as a faculty member and he has served as the assistant dean for nearly 10 years. Palmer believes that his years of experience as assistant dean will help him transition into his new position successfully.

“Being in the assistant dean role for nearly ten years really gave me a very strong knowledge of all that goes on at the campus and all of the stakeholders, both internal and external to the university, that are vital to our success,” Palmer said.  “The learning curve is a lot less than if I was coming in completely new to the campus and the community and that really helps in being able to move things forward.”Palmer explained that his years of experience have allowed him to have a strong knowledge of the programs and the academic strengths of the campus.

Palmer received his undergraduate degree from Bowling Green State University, his master’s from Villanova University, and his Ph.D from Purdue University. His research areas includebusiness and professional ethics, ethical theory, and health care ethics.

Palmer is dedicated to helping the Kent State Trumbull academic programs move forward.

“On the programmatic side, we are looking to transition our very successful Police Academy from a non-credit program into a credit program, so that the cadets in training have the opportunity to obtain college credit for their training and potentially even earn an associate degree,” Palmer said.

Palmer is optimistic about the months and years to come because the Kent State Trumbull community has always supported him.

“This campus truly is a home to me,” Palmer said. “The campus community here is so strong and supportive and I really value the personal connections I have here. I am truly honored and humbled that they have supported me as well and given me the opportunity to lead the campus in this time of transition.” 

Michael Reiner is a columnist. Contact him at [email protected].