Wrestling drops both matchups in dual match to start season

Kody Komara (Gold) squares off with Kyle Schickel (white) during Kent State’s contest against Clarion Jan. 29.

Kent State’s wrestling team fell short to Duke and West Virginia in its duals matchup on Sunday. The final against West Virginia was 44-3 and 24-17 against Duke.

Sophomore Pablo Castro IV got the 6-2 win in Davin Rhodes, West Virginia, for the opener. Castro got two takedowns to get his sixth victory of the year. 

Sophomore Billy Meiszner split his matchups in the dual, falling to WVU but winning in his Duke matchup. 

Kent State is now 0-2 to start its season. 

Sunday winners

KSU opened its match against WVU, falling in their first match in the 125-pounder match with junior Jett Strickenberger 5-0. 

Kent State would get the win in the 133-pounder match with getting Castro the win. 

That is all the points KSU could put on the board as they lost the next eight matches to the Mountaineers in a 44-3 loss. 

In the matchup against Duke, the Flashes started the match with a 6-0 loss in the 125-pounder match, with senior Logan Agin getting the win over freshman Adan Benavidez. 

Castro would then bounce back for Kent State, getting the Flashes on the board with a 4-0 win over freshman Raymond Adams. 

Sophomore Billy Meiszner would get another 4-0 win for KSU in the 141-pounder match. 

The Flashes would lose the 149-pounder matches (4-0) and the 157-pounder matches (3-0). 

Junior Aaron Ferguson would win his 165-pounder match over freshman Aidan Wallace 3-0. 

Kent State would then lose its next two matchups 3-0 as they moved into the heavier weight class. 

Sophomore Blake Schaffer won his match in the 197-pounder class for a score of 6-0. 

This would be Kent State’s final win of the matchup.

Sophomore Connor Barket won the final match for Duke with a 5-0 final. 

Duke would win by a final score of 24-17 in the contest. 

Next Matchup

Kent State will go up against Navy in Annapolis, Maryland, in the Navy Classic on Saturday, Nov. 18. 

KSU fell short in the last matchup with Navy during the 2023 season on Jan. 14 by a final score of 27-21. 

The match begins at 9 a.m.

Kyle Kuchta is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected]