Saxophonists work to mentor next generation of musicians

KSU homecoming kickoff featured food, music and fireworks.

Saxophone Day will be presented Nov. 19 in the Ludwig Recital Hall for current middle and high school students.

The saxophone is a captivating instrument from the woodwind family. It can produce mellow and brassy tones, creating smooth and soulful sounds. Its melodic charm makes it a popular choice among musicians. 

Saxophone Day was created to pique the interest of possible future saxophonists. 

Instructor of saxophone and event coordinator Perry Roth explains the significance of this event. 

“It’s a great way for high school students to learn about our school and the saxophone program,” he said. “They have a chance to learn from our instructors and current students and essentially get a taste of Kent State for the day.” 

Roth said the event is filled with workshops, panel discussions, and even a concert at night’s end. 

“I rely on my saxophone studio students to help me put on the event,” he said. “They help me prep, advertise and help run activities during the day. It’s a great opportunity for them to learn the administration side because it will better prepare them for the professional world.”  

Senior music major Bryton Ellis is one of the students helping with the event. 

“I love Saxophone Day,” he said. “One of my favorite parts is getting to know new students. I think their excitement is really cool and I like being able to share my perspective about the program.” 

Students will take training sessions from the school of music faculty along with a special guest conductor. This year, it is Carrie Koffman, professor of saxophone at the University of Hartford in Hartford, Connecticut.

Saxophone studio students play their solos for the artist in a master class. The artist will give feedback and advice about the performance, Ellis said. 

“It’s a very eye-opening experience because even if you are not the one directly working with the artist, you are able to listen to their suggestions and implement them into your own playing,” he said. 

Participants have minimal time with the material. They receive the music at the start of the day and should be ready to perform it by that evening, he said.   

At the end of the event, participants present what they have learned throughout the day at a concert for their families and the community. 

“My favorite part of the event is when the concert starts,” Roth said. “It is silent, then the first note hits, everyone is playing together, it’s so loud and powerful.” 

The concert begins at 6:00 p.m. in the Ludwig Recital Hall. The event is open to the public, but viewers can watch from home on the live stream.

Abigail Kinney is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].