Students to sell art at annual holiday sale

Courtesy of Echo Davis
Custom aprons made by the Ceramics Club on campus will be available for purchase at the Holiday Art Sale Thursday and Friday.

The School of Art will feature students’ handmade works, including jewelry, ceramics, print, textiles and glass pieces, at its annual holiday art sale Thursday and Friday.  

Students from the university’s six art clubs will sell their creations in the CVA Gallery in the Center for the Visual Arts from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Echo Davis, a sophomore studio art major, is president and treasurer of the Ceramics Club. Davis said the Ceramics Club created over 325 mugs in a “Mugathon” Nov. 10 in preparation for the sale. 

The Ceramics Club prepares for the Holiday Art Sale at their “Mugathon” Nov. 10. (Courtesy of Echo Davis)

“I think that this sale is a really unique experience not only to support your fellow students but to really invest in great handmade work,” Davis said. “We really suggest people come here with their Christmas list because you get a variety of mediums and a variety of styles.”

Davis said all the proceeds from the sale will help fundraise for the club to attend the National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts conference held in Richmond, VA in March 2024. 

In addition to ceramic art pieces, Davis said the club will be selling customizable aprons. 

“We will be offering custom aprons we’ve had made for the ceramics department,” Davis said. “They are a collaboration with a small, woman-owned business called Walking Aprons. It feels like a really significant moment not just for the business, but for the school.”

Through this sale, Davis said they’ve discovered some artists whose work they never would have seen if it weren’t for the sale. They said the sale is a great opportunity to discover local talent.

Annie Cyrus, president of the Jewelry and Metals Co-Op, said 25 artists’ work will be featured through their club at the sale. 

“We’re going to see a lot of earrings and keychains, but we’re hoping to incorporate more diversity in the jewelry and the objects that we present,” Cyrus said. “Handmade wooden boxes that would be perfect for jewelry and other trinkets will also be available, and necklaces and bracelets. We’re hoping for a couple people to have out some rings.”

Cyrus stressed their club’s commitment to inclusivity and accessibility. 

They said one student who only has full use of one hand has found success in the club and people of varying physical ability are welcome.

“We do not require anybody to be an art major or a jewelry major,” Cyrus said. “You can be from any major across campus. We try to be as accessible as possible to many people.”

Cyrus said there will be something for everyone at the art sale, and the art for sale will cater to a range of budgets. 

“We will be having a multitude of different items for sale, but also at different price points,” they said.

Leah Shepard is managing editor. Contact her at [email protected]