Blake Schaffer places fifth as wrestling finishes ninth at Navy Classic

Fourteen teams competed in the event, with Kent State’s wrestling team placing ninth as a team with 41.5 points. 

KSU had two players finish in the top six in their respective weight classes – sophomore Blake Schaffer (197 lbs.) and ophomore Billy Meiszner (141 lbs.)

Nebraska finished in first place as a team in the event.

Saturday 

Schaffer finished 5-1 in the event, including a 9-3 win over Jacob Lucas for Navy. 

The 197-pounder was coming off a 6-0 win in his matchup with Duke. 

Schaffer lost a match in the quarter-final but would earn a 19-13 win by decision and another 18-8 win by major decision over Nick Lodato from Edinboro. 

Meiszner lost his first match but came back in the consolation bracket for a 14-3 win by a major decision. He would also collect a 14-9 victory.

In the 125-pound match, freshman Adan Benavidez had three victories, with a 13-2 major decision victory.

Sophomore Keegan Knapp also earned himself three wins in the event. He collected two decisions and a pin on Lock Haven’s Kaiden Wagner.

Sophomore Pablo Castro IV kept the wins coming for him as he tallied wins eight and nine. He would get a major decision against the Air Force Academy, beating Gavin Caprella.

Return to Action

Kent State will be taking the holiday weekend off before getting back on the mat on Dec. 2. 

KSU will head to Boiling Springs, North Carolina, to take on Gardner-Webb, Buffalo, and Chattanooga. 

Kent State is 1-1 against Gardner-Webb with a 42-4 win in their first matchup. 

The Flashes are 5-5 against Buffalo, falling 22-13 in their last matchup.

KSU is 1-5 versus Chattanooga all time.

All the action starts at 1 p.m.

Kyle Kuchta is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].