Football falls in season finale to Northern Illinois

Cadie Pierce
Kent State sophomore wide receiver Trell Harris and senior wide receiver Luke Floriea celebrate with sophomore wide receiver Jameel Gardner Jr. after Gardner’s touchdown during the Northern Illinois game on Nov. 25, 2023.

Despite scoring over 20 points for the third time this season, Kent State’s football team was defeated 37-27 by Northern Illinois (6-6, 5-3). 

The Flashes (1-11) finish the season last in the Mid-American East division with a 0-8 conference record.

KSU ends the season on a nine-game losing streak.

The Huskies finish the season in second place in the West Division and will be bowl-eligible. 

After being outscored 10-0 in the first quarter, the Flashes scored 17 unanswered points to take a 17-10 lead at halftime. 

During the second half, Kent State was outscored 27-10.

Sophomore quarterback Devin Kargman started his first game of the season for KSU, going 14-of-26 and passing for 259 yards and two touchdowns. 

Sophomore wide receiver Jameel Gardner Jr. led the Flashes with 111 yards receiving on three catches. 

This was his first career game with 100 or more yards. 

Senior wide receiver Luke Floriea added 92 yards on nine catches. 

Both players scored a touchdown. 

Sophomore running back Gavin Garcia nailed 79 yards on 21 rushing attempts. 

The Huskies recorded 243 rushing yards as a team – the Flashes had 121. 

Kent State passed for 254 yards – NIU had 183. 

The MAC will have six teams that will be bowl-eligible: Toledo, Miami, Ohio, Bowling Green, Northern Illinois and Eastern Michigan.

Jacob Shondel is sports editor. Contact him at [email protected]