East Liverpool campus closes Wednesday due to break in

An+advisory+banner+about+a+camp+closure+runs+on+the+Kent+State+University+East+Liverpool+website.+
KentWired Screenshot
An advisory banner about a camp closure runs on the Kent State University East Liverpool website.

The university’s East Liverpool campus closed Wednesday after a man broke into its Main Building around 6:30 a.m. that morning. 

Thirty-four-year-old David Gamble is charged with breaking and entering the building at 400 E. 4th St. in East Liverpool, along with theft and criminal damage, according to East Liverpool Police Officer Jay Lane. 

According to the department, the man does not have any connection to the university. 

Lane said a maintenance worker called the police department at 6:43 a.m. after finding the glass was broken out of a side door to the building. Lane assumed Gamble used an item that looks like an ax to break the glass, he said.

Lane said he did not know what Gamble specifically took to be charged with theft. Lane said he did know the department found Gamble was in possession of keys believed to be taken from the building. 

“He was in there for quite some time,” Lane said. “He damaged all kinds of stuff inside there.” 

Gamble was found in the building and arrested at 6:51 a.m., Lane said. 

Lane confirmed Gamble is expected to appear in Columbiana County Municipal Court Thursday morning for his arraignment. A police report has yet to be released as of Wednesday afternoon. 

A KSU advisory, prefaced with “Urgent KSU Alert,” was issued early Wednesday morning through email and text. The alert was also posted as a banner on the university’s website. The message read, “East Liverpool Campus is closed today for all students and employees, including essential personnel.” 

Isabella Schreck is editor-in-chief. Contact her at [email protected]