Kent Police and U.S. Marshal identify homicide suspect

The+city+of+Kents+police+station+is+located+at+301+S.+Depeyster+St.+
Sara House
The city of Kent’s police station is located at 301 S. Depeyster St.

The U.S. Marshals Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force (NOVFTF) is offering a $1,500 reward to individuals who can provide information that could lead to the arrest 44-year-old Dawan R. Wilson, the man charged with the murder of a 35-year-old pregnant woman in Kent on Nov. 21, according to Kent Police lieutenant Mike Lewis. 

The police and NOVFTF have released a recent photo of Wilson and a photo of the car they believed he used to arrive at the crime scene, Lewis said.

From these photos, Lewis said the police and NOVFTF believe the vehicle is key as it possesses distinctive features making it easier to identify.

“From the photos we released, you can see that the vehicle does have some additional chrome accents down the side of the vehicle, around the windows and the door handles and also the rims,” Lewis said.

According to Kent Police Department report, the homicide occurred at 1323 S. Water St. A neighbor called 911 around 2 p.m. Nov. 21 after hearing possible gunshots in the building. After entering the residence when responding to the call, an officer found “the shot female was deceased” at the bottom of the basement steps. The officer also reported finding a bullet fragment, two shell casings and a spent bullet in the same area.

Lewis said Wilson was involved in a domestic relationship with the victim and shared a child with her. 

At the moment, the police and NOVFTF do not know if Wilson has any other connections to Kent, Lewis said.

“We’re still working on connections to better determine his whereabouts,” Lewis said.

The department believes Wilson may be on his way to Arizona, as they believe he is either from or last resided in Goodyear, Arizona, Lewis said.

“We know that there was some contact out [in Goodyear],” Lewis said. “But obviously, at this point, we don’t know exactly where he is.”

Lewis said the police and NOVFTF are appreciative of the media’s cooperation, and the individuals who are willing to share this information.

“[The sharing of the information] could hopefully lead to the apprehension and the arrest of the suspect,” Lewis said.

In a news release, the police said anyone with any information should contact the police and the NOVFTF at 1-866-4 WANTED (1-866-6833) or submit a web tip.

Adriana Gasiewski is a staff reporter. Contact her at [email protected].