‘We have to learn’: Women’s basketball fall to defending MAC champion Toledo

Toledo+guard+Sophia+Wiard+%28left%29%2C+Kent+State+sophomore+guard+Corynne+Hauser+and+Toledo+forward+Jessica+Cook+react+to+the+jump+ball+call+during+the+Golden+Flashes+87-76+loss+on+Jan.+17%2C+2024.++
Cadie Pierce
Toledo guard Sophia Wiard (left), Kent State sophomore guard Corynne Hauser and Toledo forward Jessica Cook react to the jump ball call during the Golden Flashes’ 87-76 loss on Jan. 17, 2024.

Kent State women’s basketball team saw its winning streak end Thursday at the M.A.C. Center, losing to Toledo 87-76.

“Our focus was to be much more disruptive defensively, and that did not work out,” coach Todd Starkey said. “That’s probably my fault more than theirs, but they also have to apply the energy to it to do the job.”

UT (10-5, 5-0) extended its winning streak to six games.

Kent State redshirt senior guard Katie Shumate shoots over Toledo guard Sophia Wiard, with guard Nan Garcia trailing behind Shumate, during the Golden Flashes’ 87-76 loss on Jan. 17, 2024. Shumate led all Golden Flashes with 26 points and 7 rebounds. (Cadie Pierce)

“Playing Toledo is always great; obviously, we wanted a different outcome,” redshirt senior guard Katie Shumate said. “We’re learning a lot about ourselves, and we haven’t met this kind of competition in the MAC yet, so it was good. We’ll learn from it.”

The Flashes (10-5, 4-1) started the game leading with two three-pointers by Shumate, then quickly started to trail behind as UT’s offense shone through. 

Toledo’s Sophia Wiard had 40 points against the Flashes and is the first player to reach that plateau this season.

“Sophia Wiard is a great point guard, and we can’t give up that amount of points to her,” Starkey said. “I was concerned about her effortless scoring opportunities throughout the whole game is really what beat us.”

Shumate and the Flashes were surprised by the way the Rockets elected to defend them.

“They were guarding our ball screens differently than we’ve seen this year. So, that was a bit of a challenge for us,” she said. “Then just being aggressive with as much pressure as they’re putting on us. We hadn’t seen that before, especially in the MAC. We just have to change our mindset and be more aggressive.”

The Flashes struggled to make baskets during the first half, as they shot 28% from the field, leading to a 35-29 deficit. 

Kent State junior forward Jenna Batsch blocks Toledo guard Sophia Wiard’s shot in the Golden Flashes’ 87-76 loss on Jan. 17, 2024. Wiard led all scorers in the game with 40 points. (Cadie Pierce)

“We didn’t coach our best either. I have to be better with what we were doing as well and putting them in situations to be more successful,” Starkey said. “It starts with me and our coaching staff and putting them in a little bit better position to be able to be successful as well.” 

For the Flashes, Shumate scored her season-high and led the team with 26 points. 

‘Katie came out and was ready to go from the start. I really felt like she tried to set the tone for us,” Starkey said. “She just didn’t have enough of her teammates jumping on board with that type of aggression and intensity.” 

Junior Jenna Batsch was the second leading scorer for the Flashes with 17 points with 15 coming in the second half. 

‘Jenna really picked things up in the second half,” Starkey said. “When Katie scores 26 and Jenna scores 17, we should win. 

“The defensive side of the ball really let us down.” 

Up next, the Flashes travel to Akron, taking on the Zips (6-9, 1-4) Saturday at 2 p.m.

This will be KSU’s third game in seven days.

“When we get to Cleveland, we’re gonna play three games in a shorter period of time,” Starkey said. “It’s our job as coaches to manage that and understand who’s playing major minutes and how to manage their legs.”

After sweeping the season series a year ago, Kent State has won eight of the last 10 matchups.

Kent State sophomore guard Corynne Hauser gets stopped on a drive by Toledo center Hannah Noveroske (right) and guard Khera Goss during the Golden Flashes’ 87-76 loss on Jan. 17, 2024. (Cadie Pierce)

“When you’re in that close proximity, it fuels a rivalry,” Starkey said. “It’s great for both schools and for our team to be able to play in a rivalry, and we’re excited about it, but we have to learn from tonight and be better.” 

Emily Lowen is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].