Two vehicle crash leaves one dead in Kent

Cadie Pierce
Cars travel down a stretch of Lake Street that was the site of an accident on Jan. 22, 2024 where one Kent man was killed and two others injured. This stretch of road, near Edgewood Drive, was closed for several hours starting just before 9:00 p.m. on Jan. 22, right after the accident.

One Kent man suffered fatal injuries after a car accident Monday night on Lake Street near Edgewood Drive. 

William Williams, 55, was in the passenger seat of a Chevrolet Malibu that hit the back of a parked Spectrum bucket truck around 8:45 p.m. while a Spectrum employee was gathering equipment off the back deck of the truck.  

Both the employee and the driver, a 50-year-old Kent man who has not been identified at this time, were left with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. 

The Record-Courier reported the Spectrum employee to be a 33-year-old man from Akron who was taken to Summa Health System’s Akron Campus. The driver was taken to Cleveland Clinic Akron General Hospital. 

Investigators are unsure if the car hit the employee directly or if he was injured as a result of the crash. 

Authorities said Williams died at the scene and was not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash. 

Kent Police Lt. Mike Lewis said Kent Police contacted the Summit Metro Crash Response Team and the crash is still under investigation. 

Lewis believed speeding and alcohol to be involved and charges may be forthcoming.

Savana Capp is a reporter and print planner. Contact her at [email protected]