REACTION: The Bachelor Week One Recap

Canva illustration by Kelsie Horner

Bachelor Nation tuned in Jan. 22 for a steamy start of season 28 of The Bachelor. The new season stars 28-year-old Joey Graziadei, an ever-so-charming tennis pro from Pennsylvania. 

Filled with an absurd amount of first kisses, drama and hope for love, season 28’s premiere didn’t fail to be anything less than I expected.

A record-breaking 32 women were brought to compete for Joey’s heart. After week one, 23 women remain. 

The First Impressions

When it comes to The Bachelor, first impressions can make or break you. So, let’s discuss what you should and should not do, using this week’s episode as a prime example.

One thing you should not do? Be boring! First out of the limo, Lexi, a gorgeous digital strategist from Georgia, did just that. Personally, I found her entrance to be uneventful and not at all exciting. But she hasn’t been eliminated yet, so something is working for her. 

Grand entrances leave a lasting first impression, and week one is all about impressions. 

Jenn, a 25-year-old physician assistant student, rolled in on a go-kart. Edwina, a 25-year-old entrepreneur, brought Joey a sample of one of her personally-cheffed meals. Taylor, a 23-year-old recruiter, greeted Joey by tossing him a giant bra, showing just how supportive she can be. 

One thing all three girls have in common? They made it to week two.

Aside from being boring, being a little too bold? Another no-no. Zoe, a 24-year-old artist, presented the bachelor with a plate of bananas. You can figure out the rest from here. 

Kayla, a 27-year-old guidance counselor from none other than Ohio, practiced her “tennis grunts” for Joey. 

The result of these very bold moves? Goodbye Zoe and Kayla. They did not make it to week two.

Drama and Tears

It wouldn’t be a season premiere of the Bachelor without drama – the show loves it. Leading the drama circle this episode is 24-year-old Jessica, an executive assistant from San Diego. 

After sharing a kiss with Joey, Jessica re-entered the cocktail party, only to share the moment with the group. This did not go over well… read the room, sis. 

As if that wasn’t bad enough, Jessica later interrupted a private conversation between Joey and another contestant. Jessica has earned herself a big target on her back, but she received a rose and will be moving on in the season. 

Adding to the drama, this season features two sisters both fighting for Joey’s heart. Allison and Lauren Hollinger from Philadelphia both applied and were accepted to the season. Girl drama is bad enough already, but to add two sisters to the mix? Whew, this should be fun.

Fan Favorites

A few girls have won over Bachelor Nation already, with the first pick being Daisy, a 25-year-old account executive from Minnesota. Daisy’s first impression was very elegant and charming – and it certainly caught Joey’s attention. Daisy also suffers from hearing loss and uses a cochlear implant. Personally, Daisy is leading the group for me.

Lea, a 23-year-old from Hawaii, also captured the hearts of many when she showed her true character during the premiere. Lea was granted a special card to open during the cocktail party, which granted her permission to steal a one-on-one date at any time during the show. 

Stealing a one-on-one could make or break another girl’s time on the show. But instead of using this to her advantage, Lea tosses the card in the fire, showing Joey and the other girls that she is here for the right reasons. This move earned her the First Impression rose. Props to her. 

Lastly, I would be doing my name an injustice if I said that I wasn’t rooting for one of the two Kelseys still on the show. 

Week one was a whirlwind, and I can only hope that week two brings even more entertainment.

Kelsie Horner is assistant managing editor. Contact her at [email protected]