Career-high 20 points for Jenna Batsch leads women’s basketball past Eastern Michigan

Brittany Lucia
Junior Jenna Batsch going for the layup against Eastern Michigan University during the women’s basketball game on Jan. 24, 2024.
Highlights from January 24th’s game vs. Eastern Michigan.

The Kent State women’s basketball team took home a 66-57 win as it played Eastern Michigan on Wednesday. 

The Flashes (12-5, 6-1) have won the last six games against EMU and 12 of the last 13 matchups. 

The Eagles (5-12, 2-5) started out strong during the first quarter, opening the game on a 7-2 scoring run. 

“They came out hot and punched us in the mouth, and we weren’t really ready for it yet,” sophomore guard Corynne Hauser said. “So, it took us a little bit to get going, and I think that’s been a story in the past couple games.”

Sophomore Corynne Hauser on offense against two Eastern Michigan University players during the women’s basketball game on Jan. 24, 2024. (Brittany Lucia)

Over its previous four games, Kent State has averaged 11 points in the first quarter; against EMU, they scored 14. 

“We’ve got to start getting to a point where we’re playing four solid quarters instead of letting one or two quarters really affect us in a negative way,” coach Todd Starkey said. “That’s something that we definitely have room for growth on.” 

After trailing 30-27 at halftime, the Flashes came out strong to start the third quarter, going on an 8-4 scoring run to take a 35-34 lead. 

During the second half, junior forward Jenna Batsch scored 17 en route to a career-high 20 points.

“When we see Jenna going off, that’s kind of what we expect every single possession, and we have that confidence in her. Seeing how hard she plays, we want to get her the ball time after time,” Hauser said. “So, it gives us a lot of energy seeing her go off. She’s a big spark for us every time she’s able to go on a run by herself. It really gets the whole team going.”  

Batsch credits her frustration with herself to her success after halftime, as she scored 12 more points in the second half in consecutive games.

Kent State’s Bridget Dunn (15) on offense against EMU’s Olivia Westphal (00), during the women’s basketball game on Jan. 24, 2024. (Brittany Lucia)

“I think a lot of times when I have a good second half, I’m just really frustrated with my first half,” she said. “I think I play better when I’m angry.”

Junior forward Bridget Dunn had 11 rebounds, which was one short of matching her career high. 

“Bridget is probably a little bit frustrated with her lack of scoring, but I couldn’t be more proud of the defense and rebounding that she’s doing,” Starkey said. “She’s really doing a phenomenal job on that for somebody who came out of high school as more of a perimeter shooter.”

While the Eagles tried to even the score in the third quarter, the Flashes responded with baskets each time.

During the third quarter, graduate student guard Abby Ogle had to leave the game due to an injury and did not return. 

“I don’t know what the extent was; it seemed to be she just went down hard and hit her head,” Starkey said. “I did see her after the game, and she was smiling.”

Ogle is one of three players who has logged 200 or more minutes off the bench for Kent State: freshman forward Janae Tyler and sophomore guard Dionna Gray.

Up next, the Flashes will travel for their next two games, starting with a contest Saturday at Bowling Green.

Tip-off is at 4 p.m.

Kent State Golden Flashes huddle during the women’s basketball game against Eastern Michigan on Jan. 24, 2024. (Brittany Lucia)

KSU has lost six consecutive games against the Falcons (10-7, 4-3), with their last win coming by way of a double-overtime victory in 2020.

“The games that we have coming up, everybody’s got really good post players,” Starkey said. “So, we have to continue to do our job and be successful down low.” 

Emily Lowen is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].