OPINION: Why ‘The Holdovers’ is a wild-card choice for film of the year

KentWired Illustration by Mia Marino

While scrolling on TikTok one day in November, I came across a video from user Cameron Kozak that was a movie review for a film I had not heard of before. 

He started the video by saying, “So, we have a new No. 1 movie of the year in my opinion. And yes, that does mean I rank it higher than ‘Oppenheimer.’”

Naturally, I was intrigued.

After watching “The Holdovers,” the film he thought very highly of, I have to say, I agree with him.

Alexander Payne’s film for Focus Features, a division of Universal Pictures, is one that will warm your heart as you go through the muck of the cold winter season. 

Set in Boston during December of 1970, Barton Academy, a fictional boarding school, is getting ready to wrap up the fall semester and get ready for winter break. But there are a select few students every year called the holdovers that need to stay back in the dorms because their parents cannot take them home. 

The one aspect of this best picture nominated film that sticks out to me the most, and why I think this film is so unique, is that the cinematography is made to look like this film was shot in 1970. The old-time cars, signage and the many bottles of Jim Beam that the lead character drinks throughout the film can convince you this movie was stored away in a time capsule 54 years ago and now has been taken out for the world to see. Even the film’s old-timey opening credits give “The Holdovers” a nostalgic feeling for those who were around then.

Paul Giamatti stars as Paul Hunham, a hardcore, lazy-eyed classics teacher at the academy where he has spent seemingly all his life both as a student and an employee.

Hunham is the teacher in charge of supervising the students during break. While he may have a tough exterior, he explains why that is the case as the film goes on and is a good example of why people are the way they are.

For Giamatti himself, the seasoned veteran delivers arguably the best performance of his career that earned him both a Golden Globe and a Critics Choice Award in January and a nomination for best actor at this year’s Academy Awards.

A favorite to win that award is Cillian Murphy, as he played the title character in the critically acclaimed and box office hit film, “Oppenheimer.”

This is Murphy’s first Academy Award nomination, and he delivered a riveting performance as the father of the atomic bomb.

However, shows that take place before the Oscars like the Globes and the Critics Choice act as a preview of who could be winners at the biggest night in film. And with Giamatti adding two more collections to his trophy case, do not be surprised if he takes home the big prize.

“The Holdovers” is supported by Da’Vine Joy Randolph, who plays Mary Lamb, the school’s head chef who also stayed back so Hunham and the students get their meals throughout the day. Lamb is doing this on top of dealing with the burden of recently losing her son in the Vietnam War.

Randolph also has won a Globe and a Critics Choice for her performance, and according to many projectors, is the favorite to win best supporting actress at the Oscars.

Rounding out this big three of talent is Dominic Sessa, who plays a student at Barton named Angus Tully. Portrayed as a troublemaker throughout the film, he starts to build a connection with Hunham and Lamb. Simultaneously, he tries to reconnect with his father, who is in prison, and navigate his mother’s new marriage with a wealthy man.

You will not be able to tell upon your first viewing of this film, but this was Sessa’s first film, and with the 21-year-old winning a Critics Choice and a BAFTA, this is only the beginning of a promising career.

This film is all about caring for one another and not judging individuals without knowing their whole story. 

Do yourself a favor and go see this movie. 

Because chances are, you could be better off for doing so.

Matt Kiraly is an opinion writer. Contact him at [email protected].