Freshmen share thoughts on the beginning of their first spring semester

Matthew Brown
Students cross the K through the falling snow on Nov. 28, 2023.

After finishing the fall semester and taking a break from classes for winter break, many freshmen said they are excited and feel more prepared for the spring semester. 

Sierra Boggia, a freshman communication studies major, came into the fall semester nervous to be on a college campus for the first time, but now she said she feels more at ease coming into the spring semester.

“Every semester is going to be a little difficult because you’re getting new professors and you need to understand how they teach and grade,” Boggia said. “But I do feel like I now have a grasp on being a college student and I feel more prepared.” 

Boggia has many new leadership opportunities in the spring that she is excited for, such as working for FAB (Flash Activities Board) and taking the Peer Success Academy course. 

Elizabeth Worthy, a freshman political science major, said she fell in love with Kent State during the fall semester and was eager to return after winter break. 

“I’m a very routine person and after about two weeks, I was thinking ‘I need homework to do, I need classes to do,’” Worthy said. “I was ready to get back into the routine of things.” 

Worthy learned many new life skills during the fall semester that she is excited to bring with her into the spring semester. 

“I have this new found sense of independence that I’ve grown into and I can hold myself accountable in the sense that I don’t need my mom to wake me up in the morning or tell me to go to class,” Worthy said. 

Keegan Brown, freshman fashion design major, said she is excited to start her classes because they are more hands-on. 

“I’m excited for fashion visuals because the class has really cool projects and upcycling assignments,” Brown said. “It’s a lot of hands-on stuff, like right now we’re making a magazine collage which is really cool.” 

Brown is excited to meet new people and make connections throughout the spring semester. 

“The biggest thing I learned is not being afraid to go up to people and introduce yourself to strangers,” Brown said. “I was really nervous to do that in the fall semester, but now I feel like it is so easy to start talking to new people and pick up conversations with them.” 

Brown is an out-of-state student from South Carolina, so the Ohio winter weather is a big change for her. 

“Where I’m from, winter is like 40, 50 degrees, so I have been constantly shopping to build a winter wardrobe,” Brown said. “Everyone in my life is giving me old winter snow gear that I need. Honestly, I really like it, it’s a nice change from home.” 

Worthy said she doesn’t enjoy the cold, but she gets used to it after walking around for a few days. 

“Last semester I bought a really long coat, that was my best friend for a few days,” Worthy said. “I had scarves wrapped around my face, two hoodies and two pairs of sweatpants.”

Boggia also said she doesn’t like the cold very much and is looking forward to warmer weather throughout the rest of the semester. 

“I am excited for college life during the warmer weather,” Boggia said. “I feel like there will be more activities and I’m excited to spend more time outside later in the semester.”

Adrianna Quinlan is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].