UGood events work to promote mental health awareness among students

The Kent State Anthropology Department
Kayleigh Shafer
The Kent State Anthropology Department

To prioritize mental health, the university has introduced UGood events, which are designed to involve and educate students to embrace healthful practices that contribute to their overall mental wellbeing.

“We’re just trying to spread awareness, and the title is UGood, so we just want to make sure everybody’s doing good, you know,” Falasha Mahadevia, UGood Events Organizer, said. “The more we talk about it, the more normalized it is.”

Mahadevia said these events help to reduce mental health stigma and create a platform for open discussions amongst the KSU community. One of the webinars, “The Power of Attitude,” examines the importance of maintaining a positive attitude throughout life. Mahadevia explained the session explores the science behind serotonin and dopamine, offering insights into activating receptors for positive thinking.

UGood, developed at the university, receives its funding through the Garrett Lee Smith Campus Prevention Grant. The grant supports suicide prevention and mental health awareness. The first event, “The Power of Attitude,” will be held on Feb. 7.

Mahadevia said another event, “Redeem Your Self-Esteem,” focuses on the significance of presenting oneself positively and building high self-esteem. The organizers emphasize the role of positive thinking in valuing self-worth.

“I want students to come,” Mahadevia said. “I want students to get engaged. It’s super simple, not a big-time commitment. Come get a little information, pick up a treat, and leave. It’s an easy and fun way to get educated on things.”

Kayleigh Shafer is a reporter. You can contact her at [email protected].