Women’s basketball rolls to victory behind Jenna Batsch’s career-high 25 points

Kent+State+forward+Jenna+Batsch+heads+towards+the+basket+in+the+game+against+Western+Michigan+Broncos+on+Feb.+7%2C+2024.+
Abigail Kress
Kent State forward Jenna Batsch heads towards the basket in the game against Western Michigan Broncos on Feb. 7, 2024.

The Kent State women’s basketball team defeated Western Michigan 70-57 Wednesday night at the M.A.C. Center behind junior forward Jenna Batsch’s career-high 25 points. 

After starting the game, shooting 3-of-11 from the field, the Flashes (14-6, 8-2) finished the first quarter on an 11-5 scoring run, leading 18-13 after the first quarter. 

During the second quarter, sophomore guard Corynne Hauser led all players, scoring eight points as KSU took a 33-23 point lead into halftime. 

At the break, Kent State had a 23-12 rebound advantage and outscored the Broncos 20-10 in the paint. 

KSU had its highest-scoring quarter of the game (21), shooting 56% from the field, leading 54-39.

With four minutes remaining in the game, Hauser exited the game after suffering an injury to her knee. 

During the final minutes, the Flashes shot 3-of-3 from the field and 5-of-8 from the free throw to close out the game. 

The Flashes had three players score in double figures: Batsch (25), Hauser (13) and freshman forward Janae Tyler (10). 

As a team, Kent State shot 49% from the field and 7-of-23 from behind the arc, and the Broncos shot 35% from the field and 10-of-27 from three-point range. 

KSU limited the Mid-American Conference’s second-leading scorer, Kaitlyn Zarycki (18.5 average), to eight points on 3-of-12 shooting and eight turnovers. 

KSU outscored WMU (9-11, 4-6 MAC) 40-18 inside the paint and held a 40-26 rebounding advantage. 

Kent State will next be in action Saturday, taking on Old Dominion in the M.A.C. Center at 1 p.m. 

The Monarchs (16-6, 8-4 SBC) have won four of five games and defeated Buffalo 59-48 on Nov. 11. The Golden Flashes defeated the Bulls 73-64 on Jan. 3.

Jacob Shondel is sports editor. Contact him at [email protected].