Nursing clinicals: What happens when students are not eligible?

KentWired Illustration by Cari Stonis

Editor’s note: Information about the number of students who do not continue as a nursing major and the description of alternative steps for those who do not meet originally the acceptance criteria were amended from the original version of this article to closer meet accuracy.

Not all Kent State nursing students who complete their prerequisites earn a high enough GPA to advance into the nursing sequence, and this may cause them to fall behind in their program.

Kent State students who intend to major in nursing must be admitted to the Professional Nursing Sequence so they can begin the labs, simulation training and clinical parts of their curriculum to progress through their roadmap for a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. 

Tracey Motter, the associate dean of academics at the College of Nursing, said the criteria requires students to have a 2.75 overall GPA and 2.75 GPA in four prerequisite science courses. 

Currently, all students who meet the criteria are admitted into the nursing sequence, she said. However, each year about 20% of students change majors from nursing for a variety of reasons, including grades, opting out of college or simply deciding nursing isn’t for them.

“In their freshman year they take A and P [Anatomy and Physiology] one, A and P two, microbiology and molecules of life,” she said. “On average, we take about 144 students every fall and spring.” 

Motter said the criteria helps to prepare students for their future careers. She added the program graduates over 400 nurses a year, which is well over other major Ohio universities, such as Ohio State and Cincinnati.

Courtesy of Tracy Motter 

Motter said students can retake prerequisite classes to attempt to boost their GPA if they don’t initially meet the criteria to enter the nursing sequence. Students can reapply if they aren’t accepted the first time. They also can consider applying to a BSN program at a branch campus, where there are typically fewer applicants.

If students take these steps and still can’t meet the criteria, they can also pursue an associate degree program at a regional campus. Regarding other alternatives to not meeting the criteria, Motter said switching careers and degrees are options students could take. 

“Perhaps nursing really isn’t what they want, and we might talk to them about other career choices,” she said. “They might be able to be successful in an associate degree program because it’s basic, it really focuses just on the basics of what you need, where a BSN focuses on what you need but also the professional role.” 

Gabriella Franchock is a sophomore nursing major who didn’t meet the criteria to start the nursing sequence. She said her GPA for her science courses was a 2.74, and she needed a 2.75. 

“I was upset because I know I put the time and effort in more than I’ve seen others put in,” she said. “At the end of the day, they probably had the cumulative GPA and I didn’t.” 

Franchock said her academic advisor recommended she switch majors. Franchock wasn’t pleased with that advice and stuck with nursing. 

“I was not very happy because that’s what I want to do,” she said. “I know I can do it. … One class shouldn’t determine my whole future.” 

Franchock said her passion for becoming a nurse started as early as she can remember. 

“I’ve always just liked helping people, and it’s something that I’m very interested in,” she said. “Both of my parents are in the medical field, so that’s all I know.”

Motter’s message to non-accepted nursing students is to trust their academic advisors and self-reflect. 

“We have really good advisors that understand the admission criteria, and so if it’s at all possible they will direct you in the right path to get in,” she said. “Do you know what it means to be a nurse? Is this really the path for you?” 

Franchock said not meeting the criteria has motivated her to do better. 

“It has pushed me and pushed what I should be doing instead of like slacking off,” she said. 

John Engoglia is a reporter. Contact him at [email protected].