In minty-condition: Return of McDonald’s Shamrock Shakes excites students

On Feb. 5, the Shamrock Shake made its annual return to McDonald’s menus across the country. 

While it usually makes its return in March, the iconic shake has made an early return this season. First released in 1967, this sweet treat has long been a staple for the St. Patrick’s Day season. Made with vanilla soft-serve and a mint-flavored syrup, the shake has become the highlight of the season for people around the globe. 

“I think they’re amazing. I think they bring a light into this time of year, and I think it is the perfect way to end your day,” sophomore education major Johna Horvath said.

For many people, this shake is a staple of the season and the month of March, the luckiest time of the year. 

For those not in favor of the plain Shamrock Shake, there is also the Oreo Shamrock McFlurry. The flurry is just like its original Oreo counterpart, but it is accompanied by the mint flavoring that is in the Shamrock Shake.

“I would prefer the Shamrock Shake, I’m just not a big fan of the McFlurries,” sophomore integrated language arts major Mara Woost said of her choice.

“I personally love Shamrock Shakes. I think they’re so fun, and I think it’s just perfect for St.Patrick’s Day. I think it’s very aesthetic,” she said.

While it may not be for everyone, the McFlurry definitely opens up the variety of the Shamrock-themed McDonald’s items. 

Sophomore education major Dominique Walls said she would not get rid of the shake in favor of the McFlurry. 

“I do think adding something else to the theme on the menu would be good,” Walls said. She noted that something along the lines of a green food item would fit the bill.

The minty flavor is not for everyone, but those who do like it will support it until they find the end of the rainbow. 

For those who love this seasonal drink, the combination is “mint” to be. McDonald’s will only have the shake until St. Patrick’s Day, so students should get the shake while they can.

Lauren Vaughn is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].