Haymaker Farmers’ Market is in full swing on campus

Haymaker Farmers’ Market partnered with Kent State Tuesday to bring together local businesses, on-campus programs and organizations for students.

Nearby vendors such as Busy B Patisserie and Bee Gluten Free were present at the Design Innovation Hub, allowing students to sample and purchase their baked goods. Meanwhile, the Office of Sustainability informed attendees about upcoming events.

Kent State University and City Sustainability Coordinator Julie Morris ran the Office of Sustainability booth with the help of two-year office intern Kathryn Burns.

“From my perspective, it’s a chance to connect with students and market goers and help them see the connection between wellness and sustainability,” Morris said. 

Both Morris and Burns described the number of sustainability elements present, saying it can be overwhelming for students who are new to the topic, even though students’ interest in the preservation of our environment is at an all-time high.

“I think there is some confusion on what we do as a university because sustainability is so broad,” Burns said. “We’re in transportation, we’re in green energy and students are like ‘What do I do about it?’”

Morris mentioned regenerative farming, alternative transportation and being thoughtful about the food you eat, all adding to the list of sustainable efforts students can take.

Burns recommended students go to the Office of Sustainability’s Website for more information, upcoming events and current news. 

The Office of Sustainability has been a long-time participant in the Haymaker Farmers’ Market. In regards to goals for the event, building relationships and informing were key topics discussed.  

“I think it’s just helping folks make that connection, getting them engaged and letting them know who we are,” Morris said. “Ensuring they know that we’re here to help address different questions or interests they may have.”

Burns added, “The farmers’ market has been really great to connect with students and talk about all that we are passionate about.” 

While the Office of Sustainability isn’t a student organization, they are there to connect with those who are working on sustainability in their preferred field. The coordinator, Leah Graham, works and organizes many of the student-facing events, Morris explained. 

“It’s almost like we’re a hub trying to help connect with what’s already going on and what each department is already doing,” Morris said. 

The Office of Sustainability is available and open to all students to learn more about sustainability on campus and how they can make a difference at Kent State. 

Morgan Hoover is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].

Skylar Edington is a TV2 reporter. Contact her at [email protected]

View Comments (1)