Students to get behind the scenes at Theater Design, Technology, Production Program’s open house

Olivia Woods
The Center for the Performing Arts.

At the university’s Theater Design, Technology and Production program open house this month, students will be able to go behind the scenes and get introduced to the world of stage design and technology. 

The open house will start at 1 p.m. Feb. 24 in the Center for Performing Arts. 

Stage design is creates the scenes and supports the story being told in theater. Even simple elements such as lighting and sound can affect the way a scene is portrayed. 

Jakyung Seo has been the program coordinator for the Theater Design, Technology and Production program for the past 11 years. She encouraged students to come to the open house.

“Students can expect to meet faculty and staff members, tour our wonderful facilities, meet current students and watch our main production, ‘Rent,'” Seo said. “This provides them with insight into the various roles and responsibilities in theater production.”

The open house will be split into four sections where these events will take place, as well as a scheduled break for dinner, according to the website. 

The school offers a bachelors degree in the fine arts and masters degree for the program. Admission into the program requires an interview, as well as students providing a portfolio of 10 to 15 of their works. The work can be anything that shows who the applicant is and what their skills are as an artist. 

“Students learn a wide range of skills, including technical skills related to theater production, as well as artistic skills,” Seo said. “They also develop problem-solving abilities, teamwork, communication skills and a strong work ethic.”

She highlighted some of the special opportunities that the program offers to the students involved.

[Students] have the chance to produce their own productions in our EZ black box theater. Additionally, our program offers a guest director series, bringing top directors for students to work with,” Seo said. 

The program also gives students the experience needed to work in various places and positions.

“Graduates from our program have pursued careers in Broadway, cruise ships, concert tours, theme parks like Disney World and regional theaters such as the Cleveland Play House,” Seo said. 

Lauren Wyatt, a junior theatre design, tech and production major, said the program has expanded her knowledge of all areas involved in technical theater. 

Working together to create a show is almost like a choreographed dance, and for me as a stage manager I am communicating with all the departments,” Wyatt said. “Being able to communicate with lighting, sound, costuming, technical direction and even the actors is imperative for a smooth process.”

She recommended students come to the open house so they can meet the faculty and staff and see for themselves how the program operates. Students can register for the event at the link in the School of Theater and Dances website. 

Olivia Woods is a reporter. You can contact her at [email protected]