OPINION: Is partying really worth it?

KentWired Illustration by Gabby Lutz

In college culture, partying is put on a pedestal as the only thing you can really do on the weekends.

I have been to my fair share of parties, so don’t come at me and say I’m a “lame-o who doesn’t get invited to parties and just wants to hate on people having fun,” because I do party and I do have fun. I just personally do not see the hype around partying. 

There are so many different things you can do instead of partying and getting drunk. You can play Jackbox with your friends, go see a movie, go bowling, go to a park, see a concert – anything.

Partying is fine in increments. I am constantly seeing posts on outlets like Yik Yak saying, “What’s the move tonight?” Well, maybe the move should be staying in and actually studying for college.

Earlier this month, a guest at a frat party near campus fired a gun near the house, as reported by KentWired. The next weekend, I saw posts constantly asking “what the move is,” completely ignoring what happened. I know we are sometimes called a party school, but we are still a school. 

In my opinion, people only really like to party because they want an excuse to get drunk, which I guess can be a valid reason, but you don’t need to have alcohol to have fun.

In fact, here are some local fun alternatives you can do solo, one-on-one or in groups with people:

1. Go shopping at all the fun shops in downtown Kent like Off the Wagon, Sun in Leo, Hippie Fox Rocks or Last Exit Books and Coffeehouse.
  2. Go see a movie. You can go to the Kent Plaza Cinemas or Ravenna 7 Movies. Don’t be afraid to go solo to a movie, but seeing a movie in a group is a whole different experience.
  3. Go check out the list of events on the Kent Stage’s website. There are so many fun things to do.
  4. Go bowling. Bowling is a good bonding experience to do with friends or one-on-one with other people. There are some local bowling alleys not too far from campus, so go give them a visit.
  5. Stay in and have a movie and or game night. Watching a movie or playing a game together is a great way to hang out with friends.
  6. Go to a public event. We have a lot of fun events on campus and off campus. Just keep an eye out on your local news (this totally is not a self promo, I promise).
  7. Have a fun little baking night. Make some cakes, brownies, cookies, whatever you want. Baking with others is always a very good bonding experience.
  8. One thing I have been seeing lately is people getting a painting canvas, starting a timer and then swapping with their friends once the timer goes off so they paint together. That is such a cute concept, and I want to do that with someone so bad.

I could go on, but I am sure you get my point. You do not have to get drunk and do drugs to have fun, and you can also party without using any substances.

Maybe do a themed party with costumes, which is always entertaining. I have great memories with my friends doing that throughout the years, and I would 100% recommend doing that at least once. One activity I did with my friends recently was “dress up as something that represents the first letter of your name,” and I went as the Greek goddess Athena.

Partying can be worth it, and I am not shaming drinking – but please be safe about it if you are going to do it.

Also, just know there are a ton of amazing alternatives I listed here and even some I may have forgotten to list.

Partying is fine in moderation, like every good thing. 

Annemarie Karabinus is an opinion writer. Contact her at [email protected].