‘Swatting’ incident sparks police investigation on-campus

An unverified threat surfaced from a series of emails received Monday morning, leading to university police investigating the incident.

Multiple university staff, students and faculty were sent an email with the same violent, threatening message similar to other messages sent recently to other universities, said Eric Mansfield, the university’s spokesperson. KentWired cannot confirm what the messages said.

Mansfield said he is unsure how many people were sent the message and believes those who received the threat are affiliated with Kent Hall, which houses the Department of Psychological Services.

“[Law enforcement] have looked into it and it’s deemed to be not credible,” he said, “and again, it has gone to other universities in what’s called swatting as an effort to create panic.”

Along with universities, swatting incidents have also occurred at homes of politicians, such as Ohio’s Attorney General Dave Yost.

Around campus, university police worked with federal and other law enforcement partners, according to a university email Monday morning. 

Mansfield said classes and activities will remain on-schedule for the day.

“Anytime [people] see something concerning, … they [need to] give the police a call,” Mansfield said.

Anthony Zacharyasz is managing editor. Contact him at [email protected].

Elaina Matricardi is a TV2 Reporter. Contact her at [email protected]