OPINION: Adulting 101: Finding housing off campus is a process

KentWired Illustration by Clare Rodgers

As a sophomore college student, I have begun my journey of settling into housing off campus. This past fall, my friend and I started our search for our first apartment together to settle into this upcoming fall 2024 semester.

To say we were and still are nervous is an understatement. It is another big next step one needs to complete at the beginning of adulthood. 

My friend and I decided we would look into an apartment that has two bedrooms and one bathroom. Based on this criteria, though, it is definitely not a quick decision on which apartment to choose.

A lot of things can go into making a decision including an apartment’s location, availability for car parking, the prices for monthly rent, the apartment layout and so much more.

It is definitely a big adulting step where you need to ask a lot of questions to the renters.

Some things you should be aware of asking: “Is insurance available to choose in the apartment plan or do we have to hunt for our own separately?” “What happens if there is a break-in or appliance issue?” “How much money do you need to pay upfront and by when?” “Is heating or electricity included in the monthly rent or separate?” “Is there guest parking for a weekend? If so, is there a visitor pass needed or a designated visitor parking section?” “Is this location safe?” 

The questions are endless.

My friend and I are very grateful our parents were willing and able to drive the two-hour commute up to Kent. They helped us with the process of signing on the apartment we decided on and asked further questions we didn’t think of. A sad and common struggle is that many college students aren’t able to get this benefit.

This is a new step for all college students that many haven’t experienced before, so finding anyone who can help you even the smallest bit with off-campus housing knowledge or just offering support would be greatly beneficial.

When talking to some of my peers, I’ve noticed I’ve run into similar problems when looking for apartments. I think it’s important to note a few as a reminder when starting your off-campus housing hunt.

First, a lot of apartments are really expensive, so it can be hard to pinpoint how much you should be spending or if it’s a fair monthly amount. Really look into the prices of all the apartments available to you to find what best fits your personal budget.

I know as a whole, it is hard to have roommates who fit the same needs and wants as you in an apartment choice. Talk to all of your college friends to see what their plans and interests are and if they have any open spots, or look on your Facebook college group. I always see students promoting open spaces in their apartments for potential roommates.

There is also the competitiveness of getting an apartment spot. We had to apply for our apartment this past fall in order for us to live there during the next fall semester. By securing our space early, we avoided having to rush to find a place to stay. Making sure you look ahead of time is definitely going to help with your stress in the long run. 

Commuting can also be a challenge. A lot of college students may not have a car they can afford, so they have to rely on the closest bus stop or the proximity the housing is to campus.

In addition, it’s important to know whether a space is pet friendly. I know a lot of students who want to take their pets or service dogs to their first apartment. Make sure you look into those options when hunting for your first off-campus living space.

Another thing that helped my friend and I stay organized was creating a Google Sheet and adding all the apartments in the area to it. We did our own research on all of them and dwindled it down to our top three possible choices. Then, we decided to tour our top two and committed from there.

Finally, some don’t realize it can be a better price choice to live off campus than live on campus in a dorm room, so definitely look into your options and figure out what is most affordable for you.

Always remember though, having off-campus housing is a great way to start your next chapter and get out of your comfort zone.

Though it may be a difficult struggle, the housing search process will be a great learning experience that will always be a big help in your future and something you can reflect on.

Ella Katona is an opinion writer. Contact her at [email protected].