U Good event shares mental health tips

Students learned mental health basics during virtual U Good event.
Canva Illustration by Kaitlyn Roth

The Center for Public Policy and Health hosted a virtual U Good “Mental Health 101” event Wednesday to raise awareness about mental health and to provide information about the basics of mental health, stigmas and mental distress.

U Good events are designed to provide Kent State students with an understanding of mental health and substance misuse. These events aim to motivate, involve and educate Kent State students. 

Falasha Mahadevia, an undergraduate research assistant in the College of Public Health, guided the audience during this virtual webinar to examine the importance of learning and discussing mental health.

Mahadevia discussed the definition of mental health, which includes not only emotional well-being but also psychological and social well-being. Mental health can affect how a person feels and acts.

She also explained that mental distress can include discomfort and tension and can be derived from larger stressors in life other than typical day-to-day stress a person experiences.

“[Mental distress] may lead to anxiety disorders. If not addressed, they can contribute to physical issues such as back pain and stomach problems,” Mahadevia said. 

She said it’s common to hear that somebody is so stressed out that their stomach or back hurts. 

“It’s important to recognize and pay attention to your mental health as equally as paying attention to your physical health,” Phillip Moore, a sophomore business management major, said.

To relate mind to body, Mahadevia gave the example that mental health problems are an anticipated part of life, just like physical problems. 

“Nobody goes their whole life being 100% physically healthy, and nobody can go their whole life without being 100% mentally healthy either,” she said. 

Stigma around mental health plays a big part in why people may not reach out for mental health assistance, Mahadevia said. 

David Susman, a clinical psychologist stated that, “One of the most common reasons for not seeking help is fear and shame. People recognize the negative stigma and discrimination associated with having a mental illness.” 

This stigma around mental health can prevent people from reaching out and getting mental health resources, due to potentially feeling shame or judgment from others.

Mahadevia explained that in order to reduce and prevent stigma around mental health, people need to openly discuss and increase their knowledge about mental illness. She also noted that helping to correct misinformation about mental illness is very important.

“We all have a responsibility to fight the stigma associated with mental health,” Mahadevia said. Learning how to avoid and address stigma can be very important for all of us. 

“The more we normalize mental health, and the more we talk about it, the less stigma is going to be associated with it,” she said. 

Kaitlyn Roth is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].

View Comments (2)