Students network with professionals at ‘Communication Connections’ event

Annemarie Karabinus
Franklin Hall on a Snowy Day

Students in the School of Media and Journalism attended the Communications Connections event Tuesday to meet with potential employers. 

The Kent Chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America hosted the event.

20 local professionals attended the event, including Kent State alumni, said Chloe Wilson-Henline, a senior public relations major who serves on the board of the Public Relations Student Society at Kent.  

For the first half hour of the event, students were able to mingle with fellow peers, professionals and professors. Then, students gathered on the first floor of Franklin Hall and participated in a round table of speed networking with professionals. 

“Communications Connections is such an amazing opportunity for students to come and talk to these professionals who take time out of their day to give students insight on how to get internships and how to better themselves as future public relations professionals,” said Chania Crawford, a junior public relations major. 

At the event, students were able to get professional headshots and their resume reviewed for free. 

Evelyn Willett, the special events coordinator for the Public Relations Student Society, said networking is one of the most important things to do to gain opportunities within their field of work. 

“It is always important for students to have the opportunity for face-to-face communication with professionals versus online communication, so people can really show their personality to potential employers,” she said. “This event is beneficial especially this time of year since everyone is looking for internships over the summer.” 

Since the pandemic, a lot of networking events have been moved to online meetings, and Crawford said having the time to connect in person gives students a rare opportunity. 

“One of the most important things I learned at this event was how to be confident in myself and my skills, so that when I go into these interviews I can really sell myself and hopefully land a job,” said Crawford. 

Julia Cumley is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].