Students gather at Rec for ‘Wellness Wednesday’

Savannah Mallozzi
One of the “Well Huts” in the SRWC for “Wellness Wednesday” March 13, 2024.

Students filled the Student Recreation and Wellness Center on Wednesday for the weekly “Wellness Wednesday” event. With a wide range of activities and resources to promote their well-being, the event offered wellness education sessions covering various topics such as stress management, nutrition, mindfulness, and self-care techniques. 

Brenna Frimel, a certified peer educator, said the event has a lot to offer to students.

“Students should attend Wellness Wednesday because it provides valuable resources, activities, and information aimed at promoting well-being. It’s an opportunity to learn, engage with other students, and participate in fun activities!” she said.

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center held an interactive educational activity focused on at least one of the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s 8 Dimensions of Wellness: financial, physical, emotional, environmental, social, spiritual, intellectual and occupational. 

Mary Nern, a graduate assistant at Kent State of Well-being, said she hopes Wellness Wednesday attendees learn about the different resources that Kent State offers. 

“Our goal is to motivate Kent State students and community members to make positive health behavior changes, raise awareness of health risks, and connect people to on-campus resources to meet their diverse health and well-being needs,” she said.

The certified peer educators design the activities, so these events are peer-led. Wellness Wednesdays provide weekly opportunities for students to prioritize their well-being and learn something new without taking up too much of their spare time.

Frimel said each week’s theme connects with relevant national health observances or campus events. Campus partners often collaborate to tackle sensitive topics so that they can provide their expertise and share resources. 

“The long-term goal of Wellness Wednesday is to foster a campus culture that prioritizes holistic well-being, empowering students to adopt and maintain healthy habits for life,” Frimel said. 

Savannah Mollozzi is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]