Kyle Rittenhouse to come to campus April 16, sparking concerns

Kyle Rittenhouse, a pro-gun activist and conservative, will be coming to the university April 16 as a guest speaker for the university’s chapter of the political student group Turning Point USA. When the group announced the news of Rittenhouse’s April 16 appearance on social media, responses and concerns quickly sparked. 

Students created a petition, with over 1,000 electronic signatures gathered as of March 18, to denounce the event and attempt to bar Turning Point USA from the university, with a protest planned in efforts to condemn him from appearing.

The university’s response shared by Emily Vincent, the university’s media relations director, to KentWired said, “As with any speaker invited to our campus, the university does not endorse or condone an opinion or point of view represented by the speaker, nor does the university advocate for any topic the speaker might discuss during their visit to campus.” 

Rittenhouse is known for his actions in August 2020, when he was 17 at the time, where he shot and killed two men and injured another in Kenosha, Wisconsin, during a protest in response to police brutality. These events occurred after the killing of George Floyd, sparking protests nationwide.

A year later, Rittenhouse was found not guilty in court after the jury decided he acted in self-defense.

The university’s statement said, “As a state university, we permit groups and individuals to speak and share their views on our campus about topics they feel are important.”

Rittenhouse is expected to speak at his “The Rittenhouse Recap” event at the KIVA Auditorium at 6 p.m. on April 16. It is sponsored by Turning Point USA, a non-profit organization advocating for conservative policies across high school and college campuses who hold events with other public figures such as Tucker Carlson and Candace Owens. 

A student-led protest against Rittenhouse coming to campus is set to take place on the K at 6 p.m. on April 15. 

The university’s statement said, “Consistent with our core values, we encourage open dialogue and respectful civil discourse in an inclusive environment.”  

The university’s Turning Point USA chapter deferred KentWired to its national organization, who did not respond to KentWired’s request to comment at the time of publication.

Anthony Zacharyasz is managing editor. Contact him at [email protected].
Noah Rowe is TV2’s executive producer. Contact him at [email protected].

Dennis Farahani is a TV2 Reporter. Contact him at [email protected]

View Comments (9)