OPINION: The truth about your first semester at college

Sara House
Acorn Alley is a popular area for students to visit in Downtown Kent.

Your first semester in college is said to be one of the best times of your life. Freedom, friends and getting away from your parents sounds pretty great, right? But what is often ignored during this period is the huge adjustment made from high school and learning to navigate life on your own. 

Ever since I was in middle school, I couldn’t wait to go to college. From the way movies and television put it, you stepped into school and were immediately surrounded by like-minded people. So when my first week of school came around, I was so excited to meet people just like me. But your first semester of college is lonely. It’s a lot of telling people your name and major and never seeing them again. Having a conversation with someone in your class and never having another together.

I didn’t have much time to join any organizations around campus and spent a lot of time in my dorm, alone, wondering if I belonged. I spent a lot of time away, rehearsing for a musical off campus and my dorm didn’t quite feel like home either. I wondered if anyone else was in the same boat as I was. 

I went from seeing my friends everyday in high school to rarely seeing the same person around campus twice. Classes with the same people and a close relationship with the teacher to huge lecture halls with a professor who doesn’t know my name. There are definitely pros and cons to both, but the adjustment isn’t something I was prepared for.

Luckily, all the time spent alone last semester allowed me to focus on my classes and watch the three films a week for my “Elements of Film” class. When it was time to return for my second semester, I was admittedly nervous. But I came into my new classes with a positive attitude, and since I knew what to expect this time around, I felt a lot better about the whole process. I was able to join two different student orgs this semester, which allowed me to meet new friends and get out of my comfort zone. I’ve learned my way around campus and have utilized the rec center a lot more this semester. I’ve found new places to study and met new people in my major through my classes.

The point of this article is that while your first semester may be different than what you first expect, eventually you’ll get a hang of campus and college life in general. It gets better and don’t let the initial adjustment period get you down!

Ava Branz is an opinion writer. Contact her at [email protected]