Career Closet to close in Women’s Center, still serve community in other buildings

Taylor Haydu
The Career Closet’s welcoming sign sits on the bottom floor of the Women’s Center in the Williamson House.

After opening in 2017, the Career Closet in the university’s Women’s Center will be closing its doors in late April, but two locations will remain on campus. 

Initially, the closet opened when a need was brought to the Women’s Center’s attention. 

“There was a need several years ago around wanting to help women go out into the professional workspace, but many of our students didn’t have the ability to dress appropriately or spend that kind of money,” said Sonia Karkare, the Women’s Center’s program coordinator. “Women have historically been the majority population on this campus, currently slightly above 62%. Having a career closet made sense to help women, female, female-identifying students be better prepared and have it a little easier while trying to venture into the professional world.” 

Female-identifying students are not the only population using the Career Closet as a resource. The male student population may benefit through the closet’s several racks dedicated to masculine clothing and shoes. 

The Women’s Center held a style swap on March 15, where students have the option to bring clothing and swap it for options from the Career Closet or students can just come and take what they need. The official time of the Career Closet’s departure from the Women’s Center is after April 26. 

One remaining Career Closet is located at the Career Exploration and Development office, and the other is in room 211 in the Ambassador Crawford College of Business and Entrepreneurship building.

Bristol Lily is a reporter. Contact them at [email protected].