Flashathon raises money for Akron Children’s Hospital

Adrianna Quinlan
Students and children pose at Flashathon.

Since 2014, students at the university have been putting on Flashathon, an annual philanthropy event to help raise money for children and their families at the Akron Children’s Hospital. Flashathon is an eight-hour “dance marathon” hosted by students to fundraise money for the hospital and Children’s Miracle Network. 

Arabella Malie, the events director for Flashathon, said their goal is to fundraise as much money as they can to put towards children in the hospital. This way, families of children do not have to face the burden of coming up with money for hospital expenses. 

“What we do is we try to raise as much money so we can give them this money so when the children are in the hospitals, they wouldn’t have to worry about their money, or money wouldn’t be a burden to them,” Malie said. 

Malie said Flashathon is their final donation of the year, so they put on a big event for it. 

“So, we have a big event at the end of the year,” Malie said. “We are bringing in ‘Miracle Families,’ which are children that went through Akron Children’s hospital.” 

Malie said this event gives families an opportunity to come together and connect with their stories. 

“They just share their experiences and how Akron Children’s Hospital helped them better their lives and help them move forward,” Malie said. 

Dave Paskiet, a Miracle Family member, said he came to the event because his family likes to help the community by contributing to events such as Flashathon. 

“We try and do whatever we can to give back,” Paskiet said. 

Julie Paskiet, the campus advisor for the organization that put on Flashathon, said the event had significance to her and her family. 

“Akron Children’s is a very important place in our lives and our family,” Paskiet said. 

Paskiet said she had a family member who was saved by doctors at Akron Children’s Hospital, and when she was given the opportunity to become the campus advisor, Paskiet was eager to take over and help the community. 

“My stepson, who’s 12 now, his life was saved by the doctors and nurses at Akron Children’s,” Paskiet said. “When I had the opportunity to take over as campus advisor, I knew that it was something that we needed to do to support that and give back.” 

Along with helping the community with Flashathon, Paskiet said what has been most fulfilling to her is seeing the event come together after tedious planning and the children who attend. 

“Just seeing the joy and the excitement both from our students who have spent all year fundraising, organizing and event planning for this, to actually see it come together and happen,” Paskiet said. “Then to also see the joy of the miracle kids who get to attend and be part of the event is really empowering.”

MinJee Yoo is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].