‘We need to show up and find our groove again’: Softball falls to Western Michigan

Alexandria+Whitmore+sends+the+pitch+skipping+off+the+shortstop+during+the+Golden+Flashes+7-1+loss+to+the+Bobcats+in+Game+1+on+April+2%2C+2024.+
Cadie Pierce
Alexandria Whitmore sends the pitch skipping off the shortstop during the Golden Flashes 7-1 loss to the Bobcats in Game 1 on April 2, 2024.

Over the weekend, Kent State’s softball team lost three games, taking on Mid-American Conference competitor Western Michigan. 

The Flashes (19-17, 5-9 MAC) underscored Western Michigan, 9-24.

“We struggled on all three facets of every game this weekend,” coach Jessica O’Donnell said. “Pitching-wise, we gave up way too many hits. Defensively, we made too many errors. Mentally and physically. Offensively, we didn’t produce when we had runners in scoring positions.”

Game 1

Western Michigan started the first game with two runs in the top of the second inning. 

In response, graduate student Julia Mazanec hit a solo shot to score a run in the bottom of the second. 

Mazanec scored another home run in the bottom of the fourth to tie the game 2-2. 

Western Michigan regained their lead with a single and a triple, putting them 3-2.

In the top of the sixth inning, Western Michigan took advantage of an error to gain six consecutive hits, making the game 10-2. 

Game 2

Mazanec gave Kent State the 1-0 lead in the bottom of the second after the shortstop was unable to keep a ball battled by sophomore Carley Penner. 

Western Michigan responded at the top of the third, going up 3-1 until the end of the fifth. They went up 6-1 after scoring three runs in the top of the sixth.

Kent State attempted to make a comeback in the bottom of the seventh. 

It began with a double from sophomore Bri Despines, followed by graduate student Alexandria Whitmore’s inside-the-park home run, making the score 6-3. 

Western Michigan’s center fielder had back-to-back errors, which allowed for another run. 

Senior Emily Lippe drew a walk, which brought the winning run to the plate without any outs.

Three strikeouts followed, but a dropped third strike and throwing error allowed another run to score. 

After working the count full, junior Delaney Robeson sent a bouncer to the third baseman, who threw to first for the final out. 

Game 3

The first three innings of the game remained scoreless.

Freshman Megan Nuechterlein held Western Michigan to one hit over those first three innings. 

Western Michigan scored in the top of the fourth on a bunt single, error and a sacrifice fly.

Kent State responded in the bottom of the fourth, with sophomore Bri Despines beating out an infield single and scoring on a two-out triple by Mazanec.

Western Michigan took back the lead in the top of the fifth with a two-run homer. 

Lippe sent a moon shot inside of the left field foul pole to lead off the bottom of the fifth.

Western Michigan could plate five in the top of the sixth on four hits: one hit batter, one walk, and one error, making the score 8-2.

Kent State was unable to score the remainder of the game. 

Outstanding individuals 

Graduate student infielder Julia Mazanec

“Julia always found ways for us to get on base throughout this weekend’s tough games,” O’Donnell said. 

Mazanec hit two home runs in Game 1. 

Coming up

The team will travel to Buffalo on Tuesday for their next Mid-American Conference game. 

O’Donnell recognized the team is young and lacks the experience other MAC teams have. 

“We need to show up and find our groove again. Ever since we lost to Northern Illinois a couple of weeks ago, we just haven’t been playing our game at all,” O’Donnell said. “With such a young team we are lacking experience all across the board.”  

Robyn Taylor is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected]

View Comments (1)