FLASHanthropy 5k raises money for scholarships

Participants begin the FLASHanthropy 5k on Saturday, March 16.

Jessica Goodwin

Student philanthropy organization FLASHanthropy sponsored the St. Paddy’s Day 5K on Saturday to raise money for the Pay it Flash Forward scholarship.

Donuts, bananas, coffee and more were set up as participants filed into the Kiva at 8 a.m. to register. 

Despite 31-degree weather, people of all ages were decked out in their St. Paddy’s Day garb getting ready to run the 3.1 miles around campus.

“We just want as many people as we can to come out and support student scholarships,” said Angela Minichello, FLASHanthropy communications chair and senior special education major.

The Pay it Flash Forward Scholarship is an annual financial award for undergraduate students who show a commitment to philanthropy. Every dollar in the scholarship was raised from people in the Kent community, including fellow students.

“We try to do $2,500 per scholarship, it just depends on how much money we raise,” Minichello said. FLASHanthropy tries to award five scholarships a year to students in need. All of the money raised from the 5K goes directly to fund the scholarship.

To be considered for the scholarship, the following criteria must be met according to the FLASHanthropy website:

• Be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student.

• Have a minimum 2.50 cumulative GPA.

• Complete the current year’s FAFSA to demonstrate financial need.

• Complete the online scholarship application on the student financial aid website.

• Complete the scholarship essay.

A FLASHashanthropist is defined as a KSU student who “raises funds and awareness of philanthropy to Kent State University student organizations, Kent State scholarships, and other initiatives that bleed blue and gold.”

Visit their website here.

Jessica Goodwin covers charity. Contact her at [email protected].