Organizations on campus offer support for Sexual Assault Awareness Month

Matthew Brown
The Williamson House is located at the corner of Main Street and Midway Drive on campus.

First recognized in 2001, Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM) aims to raise the public’s awareness of sexual violence and how communities can advocate for ways to prevent it. Since the early 2000s, Kent State has participated in SAAM, and it continues to support those who have experienced sexual violence. 

Yvette Roberts, Assistant Director for the Center for Sexual and Relationship Violence Support Services (SRVSS), explained what SAAM at Kent State entails. 

“We have a lot of different events happening on campus for the month of April, just to help show our support for people who have experienced power-based personal violence in their lives and also to educate the community about the work we do,” Roberts said.

More Than Words, an event put on by SRVSS, is an art program that allows students to take a creative approach to their healing process.

“More Than Words is our healing through the arts program, which is attended by people who attend our Survivor’s Night support groups, and it gives our students the opportunity to do a fun art program and also learn to heal at the same time,” Roberts said.

SRVSS presents students with opportunities throughout the month of April to take a proactive approach in helping those who have experienced personal violence. 

While April may be SAAM, SRVSS continues to offer support for individuals throughout the rest of the year. 

“We have Julius Payne — he’s our Green Dot educator, he attends different events on campus and he also visits different fraternities, sororities and student organizations to discuss consent, power based-personal violence and how to be an active bystander on campus when you see something or see someone being harmed around you,” Roberts said.

Roberts said people can offer support for SRVSS by checking out their social media or visiting the Williamson House.

“It’s by going on our social media pages and liking a post and coming into the space because a lot of people think that you have to come to the Williamson House if you know something bad happened to you, but the Williamson House is a cool place to do homework and relax,” she said. “We have students that come here to take a nap or need a little peace and quiet.”  

With a plethora of different events offered throughout the year, SRVSS continuously advocates for those who may not feel as though they can always speak up for themselves. 

SRVSS offers weekly support groups to help those who have experienced any type of violence to connect with others who may have similar experiences. The last sessions of the semester will take place April 30, with the Healing From Abuse Support Group running from 3-4 p.m., then afterwards the Sexual Assault Support Group running from 4-5 p.m..

While April is almost over, that doesn’t mean the chance to take part in SAAM is done. 

“Teal Tuesdays allows our faculty, staff and students to wear teal and show support for sexual assault awareness,” Roberts said.

Students are encouraged to wear teal and post a picture, tagging SRVSS on Instagram #srvssksu.

Lauren Vaughn is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].