OPINION: The burnout is real

KentWired Illustration by Clare Rodgers

So, it’s the end of the second semester. At least, it is by the time this is released. As I write this, it’s late at night after putting it off all week. This has been the same situation with all of my assignments for at least the last month. This can be narrowed down to a simple term known as burnout.

I’m sure that if you clicked on this article, you’re probably in the late stages of academic burnout, too. Trust me, you’re not alone. It’s an epidemic that plagues college students everywhere at least once a year. 

The official dictionary definition of burnout is: “feeling empty and mentally exhausted, devoid of motivation and beyond caring.” I personally concur with this. I’m at the stage of the semester where I kind of just don’t care. I’m tired all the time and have no motivation to do anything, but I still manage to barely pick myself up and get done what I have to so I don’t flunk out a class, or a few for that matter. 

It’s the same process every time. I get a new assignment, I leave class, I take a nap, I avoid doing said assignment until the last minute, I go to bed, repeat. The same damn process over and over and over. It’s even worse when you’re a diagnosed depression and anxiety-ridden freshman like me. 

One minute you can range from feeling motivated to do an assignment, but wait too long and you’ll want to stay as far away from it as possible. At the end of the week, though, you somehow make it. You somehow manage to do what your head is telling you is impossible.

You live to see another day. 

Well, I’m here to tell you that you can do it! Hell, I mean I’m here writing this after barely surviving through another week, yet, I persevered. The next time that the burnout is just too real, don’t force yourself to do it, because I have some advice for you! 

Based on my observations of an article from choosingtherapy.com, I found a few therapist-recommended tips to help you through this burnout. 

1. Just breathe. Deep breaths tell your brain to relax when stressed. Your mind may still be racing, but at least your body understands you are not in immediate danger. Try counting your inhales and exhales or putting your hand on your stomach to notice the rise and fall as you breathe. 
  2. Use daily relaxation reminders. Establishing relaxation reminders throughout your day is a great way to stay consistent with managing your stress proactively. Set a reminder on your phone or work calendar to step away for a rest break. Take a deep breath, roll your shoulders and tell yourself, “I am calm.” With regular practice, your body becomes more and more efficient at returning to a state of balance.  
  3. Get realistic with time management. While preventing burnout may not always be possible, improving your time management can help you feel less overwhelmed. Start by establishing your priorities each day. You can then create a schedule and break large tasks into more manageable steps.
  4. Focus on what you can control. Feeling bogged down by the things you can’t change is easy. However, you may feel more empowered when focused on what you can change (your reactions, mindset and behaviors). This step can promote a sense of confidence and offset or reduce the effect of burnout.   
  5. Get enough sleep. Consider how much energy you actually have each day when determining how to overcome burnout. Sleep hygiene is especially critical. Ensure you get plenty of sleep (adults typically need seven to nine hours) in a dark, cool and comfortable environment
  6. Prioritize self care. Self-care can help you manage burnout by strengthening your physical and emotional well-being. Self-care comes in many forms, but the overarching goal is to meet your needs kindly and compassionately. Schedule regular, daily self-care. Just a few minutes can make a significant difference.
  7. Take frequent breaks throughout the day. Even small breaks can help you restore your energy levels each day. Plan times to eat meals, drink coffee or even socialize with colleagues during work. Try a time management method where you work for a designated chunk before taking a planned break. In addition to helping you feel better emotionally, doing so can boost productivity.
  8. Ask for help. Sometimes, reducing burnout comes down to knowing how and when to ask for help. Independence has virtues, but reminding yourself that everyone needs support at some point is crucial. Furthermore, many people want to help, so consider requesting assistance with specific tasks or projects from trusted loved ones.

I hope you take this advice into consideration. I really just hope you take care of yourself in general. The year is almost over and then it’s summertime.

Let’s handle this as a team and make our homework cry in desperation instead of us. You can do this! This is just a short time in your life. It will get better. So, go out there and kick some butt. 

Nick Keller is an opinion writer. Contact him at [email protected].

View Comments (1)