University’s ‘Food Truck Series’ offers students unique dining experiences

Parker Gorman
Food trucks sit outside on Risman Plaza.

As the spring months roll into Kent, so does a variety of unique food trucks. 

“The ‘Food Truck Series’ is important to give students, faculty and staff variety and excitement in their campus dining experience,” said Kent State Special Events Coordinator Amy Kittle, on behalf of University Culinary Services in an email. “The series supports the success of the area’s food truck owners while also creating a fun and tasty event for consumers to experience on the Kent campus.”

The school invites various local businesses to participate in the event — this year’s lineup will continue to change throughout the month. The 2024 series will take place on Risman Plaza every Wednesday through May 1 from 11 a.m.-2 p.m.

“Campus will see a mix of these food trucks for the spring 2024 series,” Kittle said. “Roll Call Burgers and Fries, Brooks BBQ, Flaming Marshmallow, Rolling Refreshments, Mamacita’s, Southern Comfort, Daisy Pops and Galaxy Grill [and] Kent State University’s Fork in the Road truck will be present for all Food Truck Series dates.”

On Wednesday, April 10, the series hosted Mamacita’s Mexican Restaurant, Southern Comfort Kitchen and Fork in the Road

Crowds of students congregated to participate in the event and enjoy food outside of what is usually accessible on campus. 

“What I enjoy most is how excited and happy the students are to have our truck on campus and to get a different type of authentic cuisine that’s not offered on campus,” said Will Matthews, owner of Southern Comfort Kitchen. 

Though Kent’s campus hosts a variety of restaurants and food services, some are out of reach for students who may not have on-campus transportation. The event can also simply provide something new to do on a Wednesday – serving as a mid-week treat. 

“Being an alum, I understand the repetition of food ordered on campus and understand how refreshing it is to have something new that tastes good as well,” Matthews said. 

The Food Truck Series continues to bring the community and students closer together through good grub. 

“Kent’s a really strong community. Everyone’s really awesome and really supportive. So we love being out here, it’s like home,” said Casey Durkin, part owner of Mamacita’s. 

Parker Gorman is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].