Post-graduation jitters: Students share uncertainty for the future

Sara House
Images of graduates line a wall in the Student Multicultural Center on Nov. 11, 2023.

With graduation coming up in just a few weeks, many students are uncertain about what the future holds. 

Some seniors describe this feeling as “post-graduation jitters.” As these last few weeks come to an end, they may worry about finding a job in their desired fields and being accepted into competitive graduate programs. 

“Even though I am very excited about this new chapter, it is very nerve-wracking applying to jobs and not hearing anything back,” Angelina Lazar, a senior early childhood education major, said. “I feel like I am in a time crunch.” 

Because the job market is competitive these days, some students worry about their post-graduation financial situations.

“If I want to live on my own after graduation I need a job to do that so that scares me,” Lazar said. 

These post-grad uncertainties come into effect for these seniors when it comes to where they will end up and what they will do.

“We put in so much work, like creating a resume and learning skills, that are needed only to know that we aren’t guaranteed a job,” Emily Berry, a senior speech pathology major, said. 

Many professors have offered support, urged students to network as much as they can and recommended students work internships so they at least know people in their field who they can reach out to if needed. Having internships allows students to network, which may benefit them after graduation.

As these graduates prepare for this new chapter in their lives, some students, like Berry, are “going into it with an open mind and trusting the process for whatever comes out of it.”

Sydney Graham is a reporter. Contact her at s[email protected].