Letter from the managing editor: It’s not a goodbye, just a new beginning

Anthony Zacharyasz is The Kent Stater’s managing editor. (Courtesy of Anthony Zacharyasz)

When asked in October 2023 by current editor-in-chief Izzy Schreck and my predecessor Grace Springer to apply as the managing editor for the spring semester, it sparked my interest. 

This could be a new opportunity I take on, not only to better my journalistic and leadership skills, but to strive toward enhancing KentWired. I wanted to gain skills in the short term, but more importantly in the long run as I pursue new endeavors. 

As the light dims upon the semester and as my graduation approaches, I look back on the five semesters I have been involved with Student Media, and the growth I accomplished shines.

In my time as a student journalist, I was a news anchor, segment anchor, beat reporter, general assignment editor and the cherry on top: managing editor. Each and every position taught me more about myself, the way news works and the world we share. 

This chapter of my life had its ups and downs, but through perseverance, hard work and adaptability, I found a love, not a job.

My grandfather, 93, and my grandmother, 91, told me “It’s not a job if you love what you do.”

So find something you love to do because you won’t “work” a day in your life. With that, keep an inner circle near you that will not cage and isolate you but will let you fly high. 

Saying I am fortunate and grateful is an understatement for my inner circle which starts with my family. My grandparents are my rock and biggest cheerleaders, along with my parents who pick up each and every phone call, make the time to give advice and act as positive role models. 

Beyond my family, the mentors and advisors within the industry, especially Rob Powers of News Channel 5 WEWS-TV and our newsroom advisor and Akron Beacon Journal’s Executive Editor Cheryl Powell, guided me as a collegiate. Their advice was more than journalism, it was tips and tricks of how to lead a brilliant life and live without regrets. 

My time in Student Media cannot go unsung without the friends I made. The newsroom is where lifelong memories were created and the best relationships were birthed. We had fun, made the most of every situation and learned from each other.

Lastly, I want to acknowledge you, the reader. Your support, feedback and consistent loyalty made my time in Student Media beyond memorable. Seeing people reading our newspaper or talking about digital stories with their friends indicated the job the newsroom does is sparking conversations, bringing awareness and allowing for a new wave of journalists to gain opportunity.

So with that thank you. It’s been one heck of a ride, but the best is yet to come.

And one last thing …  Journalism matters now more than ever.

Stay peachy keen,

Anthony