Miami halts softball winning streak, sweeping weekend series

Sara House
Bri Despines runs down the baseline to first base after hitting the ball in the game against Youngstown on March 13, 2024.

Over the weekend, Kent State’s softball team played three games, taking on Mid-American Conference foe Miami.  

The Flashes (24-21, 9-13 MAC) underscored Miami 30-8.

“We need to have each other’s backs a little better,” coach Jessica O’Donnell said. “Our pitchers are working hard, but we need to outhit, outscore, outwork our opponents — and right now, we aren’t doing that.”

Game 1

Miami scored three runs in the bottom of the first inning.

Graduate student infielder Julia Mazanec hit a ball to center field to bring in a score in the top of the second. 

Miami answered with a two-run shot to make it 5-1 in the bottom of the third. 

The Flashes were able to tie it in the top of the fourth. Mazanec hit a homer to get it started.

Senior first baseman Emily Lippe hit a single, and graduate student infielder Alexandria Whitmore brought in freshmen outfielder Ellie Facher, who entered as a pinch runner, with a triple to center. 

Freshmen infielder Megan Claerhout scored an RBI.

Sophomore utility player Brynn Libler put down a sac bunt, allowing Claerhout to score the run, making it 5-5. 

Whitmore’s double in the top of the fifth gave the Flashes the 6-5 lead. 

Miami regained its lead with two runs in the bottom of the fifth and ended the game with a home run in the bottom of the sixth. 

Game 2

Sophomore catcher Bri Despines had the first pitch of the day down the right-field line for a double. 

After she moved to third on a sac bunt, Despines put the Flashes on the board 1-0 in the first inning on a single by Whitmore. 

Miami reacted quickly, scoring eight in the bottom of the first inning.

The Redhawks solidified their win with four more runs in the second and another one in the fourth. 

The game ended 13-1. 

Game 3 

Miami started off the game in the bottom of the first with seven runs. 

Junior utility player Delaney Robeson started the third with a single, and an error put her in scoring position. 

Whitmore brought Robeson home with a groundout.

Miami responded with two more runs in the bottom of the third. 

Kent State could not get into scoring position for the remainder of the game.

Coming up

The team will take on Central Michigan in a double header at home Tuesday. The first pitch for game one is 1 p.m.

When the Flashes matched up with Central Michigan last year, they suffered a 10-2 loss. 

“We need to stay focused in working one pitch at a time, not looking too ‘big picture,’” O’Donnell said. “We need to focus on winning every pitch, every inning, every play, and if we do that, we’ll be in good shape.” 

Robyn Taylor is a reporter. Contact her at [email protected].