Q&A: The reality of working and going to college at the same time

Adriana Gasiewski
The sun sets across campus on April 7, 2024.

On average, 75% of all college students are employed while taking classes, according to the National Center for Education. Kent State University has over 8,000 on-campus jobs. Many students who work while in school are responsible for paying for their living expenses like rent, groceries and tuition. It can be difficult to balance time for school and work every week. 

Emily King is a senior criminology major who works two jobs on top of going to school. She discussed her time in college and the reasons why she needs to work. 

Q: How many years of your college career have you worked while taking classes? 

A: All four years, unfortunately.

Q: How many credit hours are you taking currently? 

A: 20 credits with three night classes a week. 

Q: Why do you work during school? Is it to pay for school, rent or just extra fun spending money?  

A: I have to pay my rent and my schooling, and I will also be paying to send myself through the police academy once I graduate on May 10, 2024.

Q: Where do you work, and how many hours a week do you work?  

A: I work in Cleveland, Ohio at the U.S. Marshals Office, and then I work as a lifeguard in Ravenna. I work at least 26 hours a week.

Q: How do you plan around your work schedule to be able to do your homework/assignments for classes? 

A: I don’t. I have to be up late at night to be able to do my school work. I am unable to see my friends most of the time because of how busy my schedule is. Typically, I will do a lot of my schoolwork a week or two in advance so that I can focus on my jobs. 

Q: Do your grades suffer because of how much you work?

A:  It depends. If I am up very late, there is a good chance I won’t go to my class in the mornings. If the professors don’t take attendance, there’s a good chance I won’t go, as I am busy. I think that as a senior, the university should give a choice of going in-person and the professors sending out Zoom links for in-person classes. I know multiple other university students that get that option, and I wish Kent State would do that, as it could be very helpful for those who do work. 

Q: How do you balance working and going to school? 

A: It’s just a way of life. If I don’t work, I can’t pay for my rent or my tuition. I have to keep a job, as I have to pay for furthering my education in the summer and fall.

Q: Have you ever felt overwhelmed or burned out from doing both work and school? 

A: Yes, all the time. I barely get time for myself. I used to go to the gym every day and hang out with friends, and now I am unable to because of how busy I am.

Q: Do you have any advice for other students who work and go to school on how they can avoid burnout and stress? 

A: As someone who has been working all four years of college, it is hard to avoid burnout and stress, especially taking 20 to 21 credit hours like I am and have in the past. I would say if it is possible to get ahead in class with homework, doing homework two weeks to a week in advance of when it is due is helpful for me. At the end of the day, working is challenging, as we will be working for the rest of our lives once we leave college. Enjoy the earlier years in college before you get to be a senior because once you are a senior, reality hits, and it hits very hard. So my advice is to take advantage of your earlier years of college, hang out with friends, join groups and just enjoy those years before you realize it’s too late. Money comes and goes, but you will never get your time in college back. 

Julia Cumley is a reporter. Contact her [email protected].

View Comments (2)