Kent State’s dining hall The Market to be replaced in Fall 2020

The Market dining hall, on the second floor of the Student Center, will close in Fall 2020.

Samantha Farland

The Market, formerly known as Kent Market 2, is set to leave the Student Center in Fall 2020.

This is a part of Phase One of the university’s 10-year Facilities Master Plan, which shows more dining toward the front of campus.  

A new dining facility will be built in the Art Building, which will be a part of the new Design Innovation Hub. This will replace The Market in the second floor of the Student Center.

The idea behind this change is to have a dining facility near front campus for easier access for students, according to the university. 

The university is in the beginning stages of figuring out what will be put in place of The Market. 

“The space on the second floor of the Student Center can be converted to more student life focused activities as opposed to dining,” said Michael Bruder, the executive director of Facilities, Planning and Operations.

With more than 400 student organizations on campus continually growing, this space would benefit students by giving them additional space, Bruder said.

“There’s always need for student organization space in the student center,” Bruder said.

Not every student organization needs a permanent space in the Student Center, but some need the extra room.

“Some bigger organizations seem to be vying for space,” said Hannah Scaglione, treasurer of Pride!.

The Flash Activities Board — a student-run department within the Center for Student Involvement — has multiple office spaces.

“Other organizations don’t have all the space we have, we are lucky in a sense,” said Bobbi Broome, a senior psychology major.

Some students are concerned with the possible elimination of a dining hall option in the Student Center.

“I think it would affect the traffic in the Student Center,” said Thomas Watral, president of undergraduate student government. “With the all-you-can-eat meal plan, there would be a lack of desire for those students to come here.”  

Samantha Farland is the construction reporter. Contact her at [email protected].