Winter storm causes MLK Day of Service cancellation

Maria Zaynor, a senior managerial marketing major, Lizzi Petrey, a sophomore sign language interpreting major, Rebecca Dillon, a senior exercise science major and Marisa Stephens, a senior managerial marketing major, prepare bread for croutons on Jan. 15, 2018. 

Ella Abbott

Kent State canceled the Martin Luther King Jr. (MLK) Day of Service Monday because of weather.

The annual event, held by Kent State’s Community Engaged Learning (CEL), usually kicks off the university’s celebration of MLK Day.

CEL announced the cancellation via a statement on Twitter Sunday afternoon.

“This decision was made keeping at the forefront the safety of our student and staff/faculty participants as well as our community partners,” the statement read.

The event “offers university community members the opportunity to engage in service to area nonprofit organizations,” according to the university’s website.

CEL also expressed concern of transportation to off-campus sites.

“Much of the event depends on our dedicated Student Service Leaders to transport volunteers to sites across Kent and Ravenna,” the statement read. “While we hoped the inclement weather would subside, it doesn’t appear o be clearing up in the near future.”

The National Weather Service issued a winter weather warning for Portage County until Monday at 4 a.m. because of Winter Storm Harper. The county had around 8 to 12 inches of snow between Jan. 19 and Jan. 21.

Ella Abbott is a senior reporter. Contact her at [email protected].