It’s still absurdly cold. Campus closes Thursday

Students walk across Risman Plaza on Kent State’s main campus and battle the frigid cold on Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019.

Valerie Royzman

All of Kent State’s campuses will be closed Thursday due to extreme, cold weather, the university announced in an email Wednesday.

“The Kent Campus will remain closed, and all classes are canceled on Thursday, Jan. 31, due to unsafe weather conditions. Essential personnel will report to work to provide services and support for students,” the announcement reads. 

Temperatures are expected to drop below zero and will remain that way through Thursday morning, according to the National Weather Service.

All campuses were closed Wednesday, too. 

The campus closes when snow and/or ice threatens, or extreme cold prevails, according to the university’s website. Kent State delays or cancels when the wind chill reaches 20 degrees below zero for an extended period.

The email also provided information on what on-campus facilities will remain open:

“Residential dining areas will remain open; refer to the Dining Services website for updated hours of operation for all dining locations for Jan. 31. The Kent Student Center will be open from 11 a.m.-7 p.m. The Student Recreation and Wellness Center will be open 10 a.m.-6 p.m., but scheduled programs in the center will be canceled. The University Library will open at 9 a.m. and resume its regular hours of operation with limited services during the campus closure. Please note, University Health Services will be closed.”

PARTA will run on a reduced bus schedule with only one bus per route. 

Northern Ohio is under a wind chill warning, in effect until 4 p.m. Thursday. Wind chills are predicted to be as low as 35 degrees below zero in parts of Northeast Ohio.

KentWired took to Twitter Tuesday morning asking students for their cold weather stories.

Here are a few tweets students shared:

Valerie Royzman is the editor-in-chief. Contact her at [email protected].