May 4th Visitors Center to host global awareness event

Sara Crawford

The May 4th Visitors Center is hosting an event on issues in the Middle East.

The event, “Protests and State Violence in Egypt and Jordan,” will take place in the Reflections Gallery from 10:00 am to 4:30 pm on Friday, Feb. 1.

This is a part of the university-wide initiative of how Kent State will “commemorate, remember and internationalize the events of May 4, 1970, on our campus,” said Joshua Stacher, associate professor for the Department of Political Science.

“We wanted to bring in experts that think about the dynamic that we watched unfold on our campus nearly 50 years ago,” said Stacher, “State Violence, Freedom of Assembly, Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Protest and how that operates in places like Egypt or Jordan.”

The day will be split up into three sessions as well as a small lunch break. Sessions will include discussion panels regarding issues in Egypt and Jordan as well as factors in protesting.

The event will have professors from other colleges and universities, including College of Holy Cross, University of Louisville, Hunter College and Case Western Reserve University.

“It’s going to be very comprehensive and a lot of different perspectives,” Stacher said.

If you have any questions about the event, you can contact Stacher at [email protected].   

This event is sponsored by The May 4th Visitors Center, The University Research Council, The Department of Political Science and the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences.

Sara Crawford is the student politics reporter. Contact her at [email protected].