Flashes overcome slow start, record first road win against Robert Morris

Junior guard Alexa Golden drives through the Bowling Green defense during Kent State’s 81-57 victory Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2018. [FILE]

Gina Butkovich

Despite only making three field goals in the first half, the Kent State women’s basketball team (4-4) used a late third quarter rally against Robert Morris (1-7) to help the Flashes record its first road win this season with a 54-46 win over the Colonials. 

The game was filled with turnovers, with the Colonials recorded 23 compared to 21 Kent State turnovers.

Kent State had 14 turnovers in the first half, and by the end of the first quarter the Flashes were trailing, 12-6. The second quarter was a different story for Kent State, outscoring Robert Morris, 14-10. Turnovers and free throws were the story of the first half, which allowed for Kent State to head into halftime trailing 22-20, with 12 of the Flashes’ points coming in the first half. 

Within the first seven seconds of the second half, Robert Morris sophomore Nina Augustin recorded a turnover and foul that led to an Alexa Golden put-back and three-pointer that gave the Flashes their first lead. Robert Morris couldn’t recover the moment for the rest of the quarter, and with 3:32 left on the clock freshman guard Mariah Modkins knocked down two free-throws to give the Flashes a double-digit lead.

The Flashes took a 40-32 lead into the final quarter.

Robert Morris mounted a short comeback in the fourth quarter, and cut the lead down to a two possession game with less than five minutes left. With 4:26 left on the clock, freshman forward Lindsey Thall knocked down a three-pointer to put the Flashes up, 47-41. Robert Morris freshman guard Isabella Posset followed it up with a three-pointer of her own. With less than a minute left in the game, senior center Merissa Barber-Smith grabbed a rebound and put it up to give Kent State a five point lead, clinching the Flashes win.

Kent State returns to action Dec. 17th at the Reilly Center against St. Bonaventure (3-6). Tip-off is 7p.m.