Grad Studio Crawl draws crowd in celebration of students’ modern art

First-year graduate student Meagan Smith poses in front of two pieces of her textile work, “Untitled.” Smith said she draws inspiration from her time as a competitive swimmer.“A pool has a lot of verticality and linear elements and repetition on the bottom (with) the tiles,” Smith said. “And I think that’s a strong influence for my work, body memory and linear stretching of the body. I’m looking at a lot of order and systems that connect to the body.” 

Alexandra Sobczak

The School of Art’s Grad Studio Crawl, a celebration of the end of the semester, took viewers on a tour of the Center for the Visual Arts Friday.

Students, professors and community members participated in a crawl of the graduate students’ studio spaces by concentration. Examples of work from all eight studio art concentrations were on display throughout the building.

With ample time for dialogue and refreshments provided in each studio space, the Grad Studio Crawl served as an opportunity to build community within the School of Art.

“Sometimes we as artists often get tunnel vision in our studio,” said Jonas Sebura, an assistant professor in sculpture and expanded media and an organizer of the Grad Studio Crawl. “So (the event) was a way for me to help facilitate them getting to know each other a little bit better and building a sense of community.”

The event featured more than 20 graduate students’ work.

Alexandra Sobczak is the arts and architecture reporter. Contact her at [email protected].