7 cheapest to most expensive apartments near campus for next year’s lease

College Towers apartments

Vanessa Gresley

Seventy-one percent of students live off-campus at Kent State, according to U.S. News & World Report. The area around campus offers a large number of housing locations for students. Here are seven of those options ranging from the cheapest to the most expensive.

1.    College Towers Apartments

College Towers is located at 1800 Rhodes Road, right next to Van Campen Hall. According to Google Maps, it is an 11 minute walk to the Student Center. College Towers comes equipped with a laundry facility, fitness center, and  indoor pool, according to its website. Rent includes everything except electricity. Rent is split per unit. The complex includes efficiency units, which are studios with no kitchen; split units, which have the efficiency units on the other side of the wall; and standard units, which have a solid wall. Units are unfurnished. According to Mercedes Swires, leasing consultant for College Towers, the standard rates go as follows:

Efficiency: $365

1 Bedroom 1 Bath Standard: $635

2 Bedroom Two Bath Standard: $880

That means residents pay a standard rate of $440 per person for a two bedroom.

2. University Townhomes

University Townhomes is located at 1532 Libra Court. According to Google Maps, it is a 25 minute walk to the Student Center. University Townhome features four and five bedroom units with two and a half baths, with a washer, dryer and air conditioning in each unit. All utilities are included, including internet, according to University Townhomes website. Rent starts as low as $440 per bedroom and the units are unfurnished. The standard rates go as follows, according to the website:

4-bedroom, 2.5 bathroom: 1-payment: $6,240

2-payments: $3,180

12-monthly payments: $540

5-bedroom, 2.5 bathroom: 1-payment: $5,400

2-payments: $2,760

12-monthly payments: $470

That means residents can range from $450 a month to $540 a month depending on the payment plan and the unit size. Alexandra Hoso, junior accounting major, said she believes the Townhomes are some of the cheapest apartments in Kent. “For two years I paid $350 a month plus utilities which was extremely cheap and the unit was completely renovated,” Hoso said. “This year I pay $450 a month, which includes utilities, for a different unit which is still in pretty good condition.”

3.     Eagles Landing

Eagles Landing is located at 936 Morris Rd. According to Google Maps, it is a 9 minute walk to the Student Center. Eagles Landing offers standard, hybrid and upgraded units. Rent includes everything but electricity. Rent is spilt per unit and the units are unfurnished. Eagles Landing has an in-ground pool, fitness center and laundry facilities. The rates go as follows for standard units, according to the website:

2 Bedroom Standard: $890

2 Bedroom Hybrid: $910

2 Bedroom Upgraded: $950

That means residents pay a standard rate of $445 per person for a two bedroom.

4.    Whitehall Terrace

Whitehall Terrace features the largest student apartment homes in Kent, according to Kent Best Apartments. Whitehall Terrace is located at 1494 Stratford Drive. According to Google Maps, it is a 20 minute walk to the Student Center. Rent includes cable, internet, and water. Rent is split per unit. The complex offers small,standard and deluxe units. Whitehall Terrace has an outdoor pool, fitness center and most suites include a washer and dryer. Units are unfurnished. According to Zach Newman, leasing specialist for Kent Best Apartments, the rates go as follows for standard units:

1 Bedroom Standard: $850

2 Bedroom Standard   $1,250

3 Bedroom  Standard: $1,525

That means residents pay a standard rate of $625 per person for a two bedroom. 

5.    University Oaks

University Oaks is located at 500 Golden Oaks Drive. According to Google Maps, it is a 13 minute walk to the Student Center. According to the University Oaks website, all utilities are included except electricity. The complex has an in-ground pool, fitness center, outside fireplace area and laundry facility. The complex offers units with one bath, one-and-one-half baths or two baths. Rent is charged per person per room and the apartments are furnished. The rates are as follows for standard units, according to the website:

1 Bedroom 1 Bath: $889

2 Bedroom 1 Bath: $654

3 Bedroom 2 Bath: $669

That means residents pay a standard rate of $654 per person for a two bedroom. Leland Bennett, junior psychology major, said he dislikes the high price of rent but enjoys the modernity of the apartments.

6.     University Edge

University Edge is located at 1150 Rhodes Rd. According to Google Maps, it is a 16 minute walk to the Student Center. Rent is paid per person per room and the units are furnished, according to its website. Rent includes all utilities. University Edge has a hot tub, outdoor fireplace and fitness center. The complex includes studios, standard and deluxe rooms. The rates go as follows for standard units, according to the website:

Studio: $929

2 Bedroom Standard: $829

3 Bedroom Standard: $739

4 Bedroom Standard: $719

That means residents pay a standard rate of $829 per person for a two-bedroom. University Edge has a standard rate of $829 per person for a two-bedroom. Natalie Meek, senior public relations major, said she loves the space and cleanliness of the rooms, but “a negative side of living here is the price.”

7. The Province

The Province is located at 609 S. Lincoln St., and according to Google Maps it is a 12 minute walk to the Student Center. The rent is paid per person per room. The units are completely furnished. A washer and dryer comes in each unit. The complex offers studios, standard rooms, cottages and townhomes. The premises has an in-ground pool and fitness center.

Studio: $950

1 Bedroom Standard: $990

2 Bedroom Standard: $920

3 Bedroom standard: $699

4 Bedroom standard: $730

That means residents pay a standard rate of $920 per person for a two-bedroom. Arianna Bazzy, senior fashion merchandising major, said the price is a little unreasonable for college students. But she loves the fitness center and closeness to campus.

Vanessa Gresley is the Housing reporter. Contact her at [email protected].